Here's the show lineup for the week, beginning Wednesday, May 17, 2018. Upcoming shows, auditions and summer camps and classes are also listed. If I've missed anything, please let me know.
ONSTAGE THIS WEEK:
- “Opening Night” - Alchemy Theatre Troupe's very first performances is a cabaret to introduce their troupe to the community. Enjoy an evening of American songbook and musical theatre standards. This kick-off event has limited seating - only 75 per night! It'll be presented May 18 and 19 at 8 p.,m. at Huntington’s Union Pub and Grill! Tickets are $25 each. There will be a cash bar.
- “The Dixie Swim Club” - Portsmouth Little Theatre presents the play on May 18, 19, 25 and 26 at 7:30 p.m. at 1117 Lawson Street in Portsmouth, Ohio. Tickets are $12 for adults and $10 for senior citizens. This play is rated ”R.”
- Murder and Merriment (Interactive Murder Dinner Parties)
For a complete list of upcoming murder parties, visit www.murderandmerriment.com.
For a complete list of upcoming murder parties, visit www.murderandmerriment.com.
UPCOMING LIVE THEATRE
- “Norman Rockwell’s An American Love Story” - The Contemporary Youth Arts Company presents the original Scarpelli-Kehde musical about the fictional account of two of the Rockwell’s favorite models as they find each other, fall in love and survive the trials of wartime separation. It will be presented on June 14 - 23 at the theatre at the Charleston Town Center.
- “Shrek the Musical” - HART in the Park presents the musical based on the animated film at the Ritter Park Amphitheatre on June 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24, 29, 30, July 1, 6, 7 and 8. Gates open at 7 p.m., “Disney’s Lion King Kids” begins at 7:30 p.m., “Shrek” beings at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for children and senior citizens, groups of 10 or more are $10 each.
- “Shrek the Musical” - The Aracoma Story Inc. will present the musical on June 14,15, 16, 17, 21, 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30 and July 1 at 8:30 p.m. The show will be presented in the Liz Spurlock Amphitheater. Advance tickets are now available at https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3373012.
- “Footloose the Musical” - Jenny Wiley Theatre presents the show based on the film on June 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, July 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 at 8:15 p.m. at the Jenny Wiley Theatre at 121 Theatre Court in Prestonsburg, Ky.
- “Little Shop of Horrors” - Actor’s Guild of Parkersburg presents the musical at 724 Market Street in Parkersburg on June 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30 at 8 p.m., June 30 at 11:30 p.m., and June 17 and 24 at 2:30 p.m.
- “Southern Fried Funeral” - Appalachian Community Theatre (ACT) presents the the big-hearted comedy about families and funerals. Written by Osborne and Eppler, the play will be presented at the Running Right Leadership Academy at 431 Running Right Way in Julian, W.Va. It will be staged June 15 and 16 at 7 p.m., and June 17 at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $20, which includes a meal and the show. Dinner will be served one hour prior to each show. Purchase tickets using the event link or at Big Eagle Gun & Pawn in Danville, WV.
- “The Accidental Death of an Anarchist” - Kanawha Players presents the play by Dario Fo on June 22, 23, 29 and 30 at the Historic Labelle Theatre at 311 D Street in South Charleston. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for children and senior citizens, and group rates of four tickets for $40. Call 304-343-PLAY.
- “Disney’s High School Musical” - Children’s Theatre of Charleston present the musical on June 28, 29, 30 and July 1 at the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences. To purchase tickets, call the Clay Center Box Office at 304-561-3570 or visit online at tickets.theclaycenter.org.
- “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” - Alchemy Theatre will present the play by William Shakespeare as part of the WV SHAKES festival on June 30 at 3 p.m. at the Barboursville Park Amphitheatre.
AUDITIONS FOR “Guys and Dolls JR.” - Alban Arts and Conference Center will hold auditions on May 19 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. and May 20 from 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. The musical will be directed by Adam Bryan. This a Junior production so they will only be casting actors ages 8 - 18. There are 13 main roles with a large ensemble. Those auditioning will be required to sing a short song selection of no more than 60 seconds. Also a short monologue is encouraged but if one is not prepared audition sides will be provided. There will also be a short choreography audition where a short dance number will be taught and performed. For more info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1865625336789340/?notif_t=event_calendar_create¬if_id=1523763268294129
AUDITIONS FOR: “Disney’s The Little Mermaid, Jr.” - Actor’s Guild of Parkersburg will hold Audition Workshops on Saturdays, May 19 from 9 a.m. to noon. Workshop Attendees will participate in a variety of educational sessions designed to help teach those interested in trying out for “The Little Mermaid Jr.” Participation in these workshops is NOT required to audition for and be cast in The Little Mermaid Jr. Auditions will be held Saturday, May 19 at 2 p.m., Sunday, May 20 at 2 p.m., and Monday, May 21 at 5 p.m. Auditions are open for those in 4th through 9th grades. All Workshops and Auditions will take place in the Actors Guild Rehearsal Hall located at 724 Market Street, downtown Parkersburg. Please enter from the Market Street door. Performance Dates: August 3, 4, 10, 11 at 8 p.m. and August 5 and 11 at 2:30 p.m.
AUDITIONS FOR: “Legally Blonde” at the Paramount Arts Center on May 29 and 30. Vocal auditions will be Tuesday (music cuts and times of audition available at the box office 1300 Winchester Avenue in Ashland, Ky.), Wednesday at 6 p.m. will be dance and reading auditions. The production will be staged on August 3 and 4. Auditions are open to ages 14 to adult. A large ensemble cast is needed.
AUDITIONS FOR: "Blood Song: The Story of the Hatfields & the McCoys” - Open Call Auditions are being held for the 2018 season! No prior acting experience required so come on out and take part in Kentucky's OFFICIAL state play for The Feud! Parts for ALL ages available! Auditions will be held on THREE days and take place in TWO locations: June 1 and 29 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Hatfield & McCoy Outdoor Theatre in McCarr, Ky., and June 15 ALL DAY at the Hatfield/McCoy Reunion Festival in downtown Matewan, W.Va.
AUDITIONS FOR: Junior Theater Festival (JTF19) - First Stage Theatre Company will hold auditions for a cast to attend the Junior Theatre Festival in January 2019 in Atlanta. Rehearsals will begin in the late summer.
Festival Dates: January 18-21, 2019
Audition Date: Saturday, June 9 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Location for the Meeting and Auditions:
Pea Ridge United Methodist Church
5747 East Pea Ridge Road
Huntington, WV 25705
If you are will be out of town on June 9, there will be an early audition on Tuesday, May 29 at 6 p.m. at Pea Ridge United Methodist Church. Enter the church thru the side door by going up the ramp. Please let us know in advance if your plan to come to the early auditions.
To audition actors must be 10 years old by January 18, 2019, and have performed or worked tech for at least one First Stage production previously.
Please prepare 32-64 bars or 1-2 minutes of a musical theater song (NOT a pop song). An accompanist and CD player will be available. You may bring sheet music or a karaoke track….please no a cappella auditions. Actors should be prepared to learn a short dance.
UPCOMING SUMMER CAMPS:
- Paramount Players - “Living Truthfully, the Practice Behind the Art.”
Art takes practice, and this class is designed to help students of all levels fine tune the art of acting. The class will have a heavy focus on acting schools of thought, various principles, character development, and exercises to hone acting to a sharper edge. Over the 8 week course students will learn how to connect with other actors on stage for a deeper and truer since of the character and story, as well as how to develop a sense for organic and natural acting. Being neither a beginner or advanced class, the goal will be to provide a safe environment to reach out and grasp new levels for all students. Come. Be relaxed. Learn along the way.
Fridays - June 8, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 27, August 10, 17 from 6 to 8 p.m.
This class is offered free of charge.
- Clay Center for the Arts & Sciences - Performing Arts Camp: July 16 – July 20
(ages 10 – 18), Jr. Camp (ages 10 – 12), Sr. Camp (ages 13 – 18).
Each of these Summer Camps is led by local, industry professionals. Students will develop, rehearse and perform Broadway style musical numbers, monologues and scenes as well as create prop and set pieces for a fun performance for family and friends in the Clay Center’s famous Maier Foundation Performance Hall! To reserve a spot call: 304-561-3570.