Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, October 04, 2020

A Fond Farewell


   It was 14 years ago today that I posted the first entry in this, the Tri-State Theatre blog - so my sense of symmetry tells me that it's a good date to bring it to an end.


   I was pulled into the project by my pal Dave Lavender, who sent me a message asking if I knew anyone who’d be interested in writing a blog for the Herald-Dispatch about local theatre. I replied, “You mean other than me?”


   I’ve certainly enjoyed working on the blog over the years, shining some light on a corner of the local arts effort that’s always in need of some coverage. Thanks to all those companies who have sent along info, interviews and photos over the years!


   I want to thank my pal and editor Andrea Copley-Smith for all her help and patience with me over the years - she’s awesome!


   Special thanks to all of you who have taken time to read and / or comment on posts here - according to the stats, more than 530,000 people have read posts over the years!


   Since this blog will apparently stay in place for a while, for my final posts I updated and re-posted the “History of Theatre in Huntington” originally written in 2006, then updated in 2014 and 2018 - so it’ll be here as reference for those interested in such things. 


   For theatre news I recommend joining the Tri-State Theatre Facebook group - it’s not my creation, but I pop up there from time to time - join it at https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheatreTalk .


   There's a tantalizing photo from 1911 in James Casto's book Images of America: Cabell County that shows a group of solemn children dressed in overalls, getting ready to present The Mikado (of all things) in Huntington. (How I'd love to see that performance!) So theatre has been in the blood of the city for a long, long time.


   With three active performing groups in Huntington now, theatre continues to be a vibrant part of the city - and we wouldn't have it any other way!


   Take care, be safe, and (when they return after the ongoing shutdown) support your local theatre!


No comments: