Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Another "Fantasticks" Interview!

This e-interview is with my pal Mike Murdock, who's one of the stars of The Fantasticks, which takes the stage for this weekend only in Huntington (that's him on the right in the photo above, next to the lovely Kristin Caviani).

Q: Why did you want to be part of The Fantasticks?

Mike: It's a show I've always wanted to be a part of and a role I've always wanted to play since I saw my friends Herschel Jeffrey, Jeremy Richter and Phil Wilcox in it years ago. It tells such a sweet story of young love and the romanticized notion of the world. The songs are great, too. Every single one. There aren't a lot of musicals where I like literally every song.

Q: It's the longest-running show ever - so what makes this such a great show?

Mike: It's a tight - compact - show with a small cast and great songs. They don't rely on spectacle, but instead rely on pure theatricality and ingenuity. It tells a pretty basic, relateable story, too. It's a love story and an adventure. There's something for everyone.

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Mike: I play the narrator / bandit king El Gallo. He moves the story along, but he is also hired by the fathers to create an elaborate hoax - the hoax has repercussions, though, and heart-strings get pulled in many directions.

Q: What's the most challenging thing about preparing for this role?

Mike: I was thinking about this earlier, and this may well be the most songs / stage time I've ever had in a musical, as far as sheer numbers. Jesus in Godspell might be a close second. I'm onstage quite a lot in this show either narrating, singing, dancing or conversing. It's been a healthy chunk of memorization that I'm still working on. No doubt I'll still be pouring over my script until the minute we open, and probably until the day we close.

Q: Do you have a favorite song or scene?

Mike: I love the dynamic of "This Plum Is Too Ripe." They really tear it up and I just love it. Like I said before, though, I literally do like *every* song in this show. And I don't want to be that guy, but "It Depends On What You Pay" is a lot of fun to do. I'm just kidding. I TOTALLY want to be that guy.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Mike: It's sweet, poignant, funny, tells a good, clever story and reminds people of better times, when things weren't so complicated. Or were they? We have an AMAZING cast - it's certainly one of the finest groups I've ever had the pleasure to work with. They've accepted me with open arms and, more importantly, put up with me on a near-daily basis. There's some great comedic work done in this show as well, by Dylan Clark and Erik Woods. They're worth the price of admission (and the rest of us are worth the price of dinner). All of the leads are doing great, strong work - Kristin and Owen especially - you see the yearning in their eyes - and Bil and Mark bring the perfect blend of deep affection and protection for and over their children. Patrick is also really busting his hump as the Mute. He may work harder than anyone else on stage. Be sure to watch him. He's always involved. And I haven't even mentioned Tawny yet! What an amazing accompanist she is! She's brilliant! It's my first time working with her, and between Bil's music direction and her playing, even *I* sound good. Stephen Vance has done a great job of bringing the show together and giving Huntington something really special. I hope that everyone takes the time to come and enjoy the show. It's not often that something like this comes along. I'm just glad my director, fellow actors, the musician and costumers allowed me to even share the space with them. Their generosity, passion and willingness to do great work is dizzyingly inspirational. That's the cold, hard truth. Don't miss the opportunity to see it in action.

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

Mike: The Fantasticks
takes the stage at 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 11 - Saturday, Aug. 13 and at 2 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 14, in the ballroom of the Renassiance Center (Old Huntington High School), 900 8th Street in Huntington. Tickets are $15. A dinner and show ticket is available for the evening performances for $30. Reservations are required and can be made by calling 304-733-2787.

No comments: