Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Bil's Best of 2012

I invited readers to send in their "Best of 2012" lists, and here's what my pal Bil Neal had to say:
Yesterday I took all the "2011" pages out of my Franklin planner and added the first four months of 2012. Your blog about the Best Shows made me curious to see if I had any comments about the theatre I saw last year, and I'd like to share some of the scribblings I found in the margins of my calendar. Feel free to edit any or all for length or content, and keep in mind that I wasn't able to see everything I wanted.

Barefoot In The Park (ARTS) was a delight. Set was orange, and got a smattering of applause every performance. With Karen Pruitt nearly upstaging Clint McElroy, the entire cast was a pleasure.

Nunset Boulevard (First United Methodist Dinner Theatre) Leann Haines has mad puppetry skills.

Dead Man Walking (MU) Nathan Mohebbi was impressive. The work that man did blew me away.

Video Games Live (Artist Series) was one of the most interesting things I saw, and completely out of my comfort zone. What an event.

Titanic (5th Avenue) Orchestra, Orchestra, Orchestra. Mike Murdock (sings!) David Day. Ron Short.

Drowsy Chaperone (CLOG) I would pay to watch Laurie Pennington read the phone book.

Wedding Singer (HOT) Ryan Hardiman enjoyed himself, and made me. Shayne Gue did great. Kerri Easter and Kaitlin Despain surprised me.

Thoroughly Modern Millie (CLOG) Linda Reynolds - wish I could've seen her every performance.

ART's 10th Anniversary Gala (ARTS) Helga got a Lifetime Achievement Award. Ryan Hardiman and Randall Reid-Smith duet of "Lilly's Eyes" second only to Chris Bowling accompanying himself.

New Works (MU) Collis P! So much fun. Burgle - Dylan Clark writes! (really well) New kid Patrick Taylor - one to watch.

Princess Ida (Portsmouth) Mark Near is a bad guy? Set was amazing.

Hairspray (CLOG) Laurie Pennington makes me smile. Jon Lamp has worked his butt off. I knew him when....

Fantasticks (ARTS) environment was a blast. Murdock CAN sing! Owen Reynolds is a pleasure. Dylan Clark and Eric Woods need to be stopped or no one will see me and Mark Near. Tawney Burdine can play anything you put in front of her. Kristin Cavianni belts into a hairbrush. Stephen Vance has a hit.

Noises Off (5th Avenue) Best set they've had. Leann Haines cries. James Holley's physical work is good. I like Michael Naglee on stage, but I'm kinda crushing on Kate Morris.

Schoolhouse Rock (First Stage at ARTS) Who staged a million kids so well? Set was beautiful and used really well. Three IS a Magic Number.

Jekyll and Hyde (ARTS) Ryan Hardiman, Brittany Adkins and Andrea Parkins amazing. Mike & Jenn Naglee are this period. I wanna play in the laboratory.

Family Cabaret (Highlawn Prebyterian) 90 second of Ed Sullivan takes six months of work. My favorite thing.

Pillowman (Company of Dreams) not at all my taste - really well done. Looking forward to seeing more from this company.

Last Night of Ballyhoo (MU) well done. Patrick Taylor and Jordan Bean - I loved them together. She was born with that style.

Holiday Memories (Cup) Chris Sizemore is good, but the surprise pleasure was almost all of the Donahoes singing together. Love those people.

It's a Wonderful Life (Paramount) How long did they rehearse? Backdrops are stunning.

Things that I'm sorry I missed this year, (just from discussions with friends) include Marina Jurica's Farewell Concert, Albert's Hall, Bat Boy (Cup) - heard good things about Chris Sunderland's physical work, and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

No comments: