Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Auditions for "MacBeth"

Coming up this weekend are auditions for the ARTS production of William Shakespeare's MacBeth.

Here's the info:
Auditions for ARTS production of William Shakespeare's Macbeth will be held Friday, July 20 from 7 - 10 p.m. and Saturday, July 21 from 12 - 4 p.m. with callbacks Sunday at 2 p.m. (if needed).

The auditions will be held on the main stage at ARTS. Actors will be asked to read from the play, as well as work with Shakespearean sonnets given ahead of time. Headshots and resumes are welcome but not required.

Please pick ONE of the following sonnets to be familiar with. You need not memorize them, just be familiar enough to read them in various ways with some playable actions / direction. These can also be found with a simple Google search for a printable copy.

Sonnet #139
O! call not me to justify the wrong
That thy unkindness lays upon my heart;
Wound me not with thine eye, but with thy tongue:
Use power with power, and slay me not by art,
Tell me thou lov'st elsewhere; but in my sight,
Dear heart, forbear to glance thine eye aside:
What need'st thou wound with cunning, when thy might
Is more than my o'erpressed defence can bide?
Let me excuse thee: ah! my love well knows
Her pretty looks have been mine enemies;
And therefore from my face she turns my foes,
That they elsewhere might dart their injuries:
Yet do not so; but since I am near slain,
Kill me outright with looks, and rid my pain.

or

Sonnet #147
My love is as a fever longing still,
For that which longer nurseth the disease;
Feeding on that which doth preserve the ill,
The uncertain sickly appetite to please.
My reason, the physician to my love,
Angry that his prescriptions are not kept,
Hath left me, and I desperate now approve
Desire is death, which physic did except.
Past cure I am, now Reason is past care,
And frantic-mad with evermore unrest;
My thoughts and my discourse as madmen's are,
At random from the truth vainly expressed;
For I have sworn thee fair, and thought thee bright,
Who art as black as hell, as dark as night.

The production will run October 12, 13, 14 and 19, 20, 21, with a SCHOOL SHOW on Thursday, Oct. 18.

Rehearsals will begin Sunday, July 29.

Come willing to play and have fun. Don't let Shakespeare scare you. Let's scare the audiences in October, instead!

The play will be directed by Mike Murdock.
They've even cooked up a nifty trailer promoting the auditions, which you can watch right here.

No comments: