Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

"How to Succeed..." Interview #3

   We've heard from two of the guys in the cast of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, so for our third interview let's hear from one of the gals. (Since the play is set in the '60s, I can use the word "gals," right?)
   Jocelyn Knapp plays the part of the Executive Secretary at the wackiest company around.
   Here are her comments: 
Q: What is the play How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying about?
Jocelyn: J. Pierpont Finch, starts out as a window washer, finds a book, which directs him up the ladder of success within the large company, World Wide Wickets. A variety of characters are influenced by Finch and his book throughout this show. A detailed, musically centered score tells the story of Finch’s success, his love for Rosemary and his quest to succeed in business, without really trying. 
Q: Tell us about the character you play. 
Jocelyn: Pilkington. Rosemary Pilkington. Executive Secretary. J. Piermont Finch’s main love interest. Picture 1960s Barbie meets musical theater… Rosemary falls in love at first sight, and will do anything to support her main squeeze through thick and thin. 
Q: What’s your favorite song in the show? 
Jocelyn: "Paris Original" is a very cute song - doesn’t hurt it starts as one of my solos either! Great choreography and costuming make this number VERY fun for us girls! 
Q: Why did you want to be part of this show? 
Jocelyn: There hasn’t been a better time to be at ARTS, right? I have the upmost respect for director Bil Neal, adore choreographer Coni Anthony and have enjoyed getting to know music director Lara Donahoe. I am a musical theater junkie – this show – because of the directing staff - was a no brainer. 
Q: What’s your background in theatre? 
Jocelyn: I starred in my first role when I was a junior in high school at Cabell Midland – and have had the theater bug ever since. Over the last 10 years I have done mostly musicals. Like most that start in theatre early, I took some time off in my late 20s to earn a bachelors degree from Marshall, get married and start my little family. My last show was in 2010, with ARTS Will Rogers Follies, I played The Favorite. I knew after that experience I wanted to do theater again, and I wanted to do theater at ARTS! 
Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers? 
Jocelyn: This show is BIGGER, LOUDER, FASTER and FUNNIER. It is the summer musical sensation that offers fantastic choreography, humor, a sweeter than sugar love story, beautiful costumes and a set where – everything moves. Most important, everyone in this cast has worked their tails off to bring the most exciting and entertaining musical yet! 
Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.
Renaissance Arts Center (old Huntington High School) 
May 24, 25 at 8 p.m. and 26 at 2 p.m.
May 31, June 1 at 8 p.m. and June 2 at 2 p.m.
  There hasn’t been a better time to be at ARTS, won’t you join us?
   Thanks, Jocelyn!

No comments: