Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Interview #1 with the Cast of "Crazy for You"

   The musical Crazy for You takes the stage this weekend in Huntington, so it's time for some interviews and comments from the cast!

   First up is the lovely and talented Cyndi Fuller!

Q: For those not familiar with the show, tell us about Crazy for You.

Cyndi:  Crazy for You is about a banker named Bobby Child. All he wants to do is dance, but his money hungry mother sends him to Nevada to foreclose on a poor, rundown theater. Of course he immediately falls in love with the only girl in Deadrock. What ensues is a series of lies delightfully covered up by singing cowboys and dancing showgirls. It seems like your typical Broadway love story, but I promise you: it's not.

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Cyndi:  I'm part of the Zangler Follies. I thought this would be an "easy chorus" role where I was a blip on the stage for a short time here and there. I was so mistaken! Each character in the show must bring everything they have to the table for the story line to work. We're all onstage as a unit. Without the "background" characters like me Crazy for You is just a bunch of bango-bingo.

Q: I understand this show required a lot of rehearsal.

Cyndi:  You. Have. No. Idea. From the first rehearsal, we have been charging at this show full force. Singing. Dancing. Acting. Not only have we been working our triple threat skills, we've been giving our all to help make the show happen. Set builds. Painting. Sewing. When we aren't rehearsing, we're working as a team to make the show the best it can possibly be in all aspects.

Q: What's your favorite song in the show?

Cyndi:  "Slap That Bass" is the most fun I've had on stage in years. It's so upbeat, and you can feel the energy radiating from the cast. Thinking about it makes me so happy and excited, I can't think straight!

Q: What's your background in theater?

Cyndi:  Tons of children's theatre. I took a break to pursue competitive dancing but came out of retirement for ARTs last show (Much Ado About Nothing). Let me tell you: I sure did pick a great time to come back. Crazy for You is going to be a show that the theater community remembers for a long time, and I'm so thankful I get to be part of it.

Q: If one of our readers is thinking about trying out for a show, what advice would you give them?

Cyndi: Just go for it! The last two shows I've done have had first time actors, and they did amazing. You have so many resources available in the Tri-State it would be silly to not try! Go to a workshop. See a show. Talk to directors and actors. Put on your dancing shoes. Watch your spirits climb.

Q: Why would you recommend this show?

Cyndi: I'm jealous I don't get to see it! Everyone has worked so hard. The set is amazing. The costumes are fabulous. The choreography is out of this world. The vocals will blow you away. This is one of the biggest productions to come across the ARTs stage. If you don't see it, you're K-RA-ZY! 

   Thanks, Cyndi!

   The musical Crazy for You will be staged at the Renaissance Theatre at 900 8th Street on Oct. 24, 25, 31 and Nov. 1 at 8 p.m., and Oct. 26 and Nov. 2 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $15 for the show, and $30 for dinner and the show - to make dinner reservations, call 304-733-2787.

No comments: