December's usually a busy month for community theaters, but as we get close to Christmas, you usually see a sharp drop-off in shows.
That's because most groups try to get the shows done before the holiday becomes too overwhelming. But this year, even though we're just a week away from the holiday, we still have several shows running - and one even runs the weekend after Christmas!
Here's the lineup for the next two weekends:
- A Christmas Carol - Alban Arts and Conference Center presents the classic Dickens play Dec. 19 and 20 at 8 p.m., and Dec. 21 at 2 p.m. at the Alban Arts and Conference Center at 65 Olde Main Plaza in St. Albans. Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for students and seniors.
- An Old Fashioned Christmas and a Movie - The Nutcracker Story - Limelight Theatre Company presents a video of the group’s 2012 and 2013 performances of "The Nutcracker Story." the show also features a pre-show performance by live singers and dancers. It’ll be presented Dec. 19 and 20 at 7 p.m. and Dec. 20 and 21 at 2 p.m. at the WVSC Capitol Center Theatre at 123 Summers Street in Charleston. All tickets are $8.
- Miracle on 34th Street - The Charleston Light Opera Guild presents the musical based on the classic 1947 film on Dec. 19, 20, 26 and 27 at 7 p.m. and Dec. 21 and 28 at 2 p.m. at the Culture Center Theater at the West Virginia Capitol Complex. Tickets are $20 each.
- Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol - Kanawha Players preents the play based on the Dickens classic on Dec. 18 and 19 at 7 p.m. at the LaBelle Theater at 311 D Street in South Charleston. Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for students, seniors and children under 18.
- Irving Berlin's White Christmas: The Musical - The Paramount Players presents the Irving Berlin classic on Dec. 18, 19 and 20 at 7:30 p.m. and Dec. 20 at 3 p.m. at the Paramount Arts Center on 1300 Winchester Avenue in Ashland. There will be a Pre-show Chorus 30 minutes before showtime. Tickets are $14 for adults and $10 for students (if purchased in advance) and $16 for adults and $12 for students (purchased the day of the show).
So get out there and dive into the holiday spirit!