Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

"Company" Cast Interview #4 - Tiffany Trent

Just two days until the premiere of the musical Company!

A few days ago we heard from Len Trent, so now let's hear from his lovely and talented wife (both on and off-stage), Tiffany Trent!

Q: Tell us the basic story of Company.

Tiffany: Company is about a single guy named Robert who is living in NYC trying to figure out what he really wants out of life. He has married couples who are his friends and they give him advice on getting married. All of the wives try to take care of Robert and most of the husbands envy his single life. What will he decide? Come to the show to find out!
Q: Tell us about the character you play.
Tiffany: I play Sarah, who is married to Harry. Sarah is an interesting character who is trying to find excitement in her own life. My character is the mother hen to Robert, always wanting to take care of him. Sarah likes to try new and different things, like karate.
Q: What’s your favorite song in the show?
Tiffany: I love "Sorry - Grateful" and "Being Alive." I’m a sucker for emotional ballads.
Q: Is the music challenging?
Tiffany: It’s Stephen Sondheim, so YES! Special thank you to Lara Donahoe for teaching us this challenging music!
Q: Why did you want to be part of the show?
Tiffany: I love Sondheim, so I was very excited when ARTS announced it was part of the 2015 season. Company is a great ensemble piece and I knew it would be full of fun and great music. I also really wanted to work with Amy Knell Carlson as the director. Amy knows what she wants and how to pull it out of you.
Q: What’s your background in theatre?
Tiffany: I grew up taking dance classes and singing in school choirs. I didn’t start participating in theatre until college at ACTC, then majored in theatre at Morehead State University. I participated in regional shows in Richmond, Va., while living there. I lived in NYC for three years were I took classes at HB studios. I moved back to the area about 12 years ago and got back into theatre, then ended up making a home at ARTS.
Q: This is being performed in the Renaissance ballroom, an intimate setting, with the audience right in front of you. Does that make the show easier or more difficult to perform?
Tiffany: The first show I did in the ballroom was intimidating, but once you get used to it, you're fine. I actually like it better now because you can hear and see the reactions from the audience, even whispers. The intimacy makes me feel like I have a better connection with the audience. In Company the cast is on stage the entire show, so feeling comfortable is very important.
Q: Why would you recommend Company to our readers?
Tiffany: This show is full of great music, great laughter, intimate moments, emotional moments, dancing, and it makes you feel and think. Plus it’s all live, happening right in front of you. What could be better than that?
Thanks, Tiffany!
   Arts Resources for the Tri-State presents the hit musical Company by Stephen Sondheim on March 20, 21, 27 and 28 at 8 p.m. and March 22 at 2 p.m. at the ARTS Ballroom at 900 8th Street in Huntington. Tickets are$15 for the show only, $30 for dinner and show. Call for dinner reservations at  304-733-2787.

No comments: