Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Interview with the Director of "Of Devils and Men"


   Taking the stage this weekend in Charleston is an original play written and directed by Lawrence Burgess - it’s called Of Devils and Men, and it focuses on a very unusual trial. 

   We sat down with Lawrence recent for an e-interview about the production:

Q: Tell us about Of Devils and Men.

Lawrence: Twelve jurors, one is the devil. On the surface, it seems very much like “12 Angry Men” meets “Devil.” Yet the script came from the need to make myself uncomfortable - tackling my deepest fears and nightmares. I want to become a better person, and this narrative has helped me do so.

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Lawrence: I play Donovan, a veterinarian. His professional specialty is loosely based off of a friend of mine, Dr. Jonathan Warner.

Q: What’s your background in theatre?

Lawrence: Thomas Conlin and Selina Midkiff started me into the rabbit hole early. After I played Moriarty, it gave me the juice I needed to pursue it fully.

Q: What’s been the most challenging thing about this show?

Lawrence: Technical stuff. My language has been atrocious, but I've survived.

Q: Tell us about the cast.

Lawrence: These are sweet people who have been nothing but kind and generous to me. There are too many productions in which talent don't get the love they deserve. Jhora Papion is a foreign exchange student from the Ukraine. Everything he does amazes me. There's a true sense of darkness from John Halstead and Linda O'Neill. They worked with me on Jack the Ripper, and it's a sight to behold. I also believe in the power of humor, and in this production it has a name - Norman Clerc. I can't reveal much more without spoiling the show.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Lawrence: From hardcore horror fans to church audiences, this is a show for the general audience. This is a depiction of mankind at its most terrible. It will rip your nightmares apart, make you laugh, and break your heart.

Q: Thanks!


“Of Devils and Men” is a live stage play written and directed by Lawrence Burgess. The death penalty has just been passed into law. Twelve jurors, one is the devil. The end has come. Performances will be at the Capitol Theatre in Charleston on Oct. 20, 26 and 27 at 8 p.m., Oct. 20 and 27 at 2 p.m., Oct. 21 and 28 at 3 p.m., and Oct. 31 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 general admission, and $10 on Sunday performances.

No comments: