Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

4 shows in 4 days

Our pal "MarshallMark" just sent the following in as a Comment - he reviews four shows from the past weekend. I love it! I wanted to be sure everyone saw this, so I'm turning this entry over to him. Here's Mark:

Last Thursday, my lovely wife and I had a pleasant evening out taking in "Driving Miss Daisy" at Marshall. The show was terrific, and the performance by the actress that portrayed 'Miss Daisy' was superb. She looked and acted in her 70s, even though I'm sure she was college-aged. Director Gene Anthony took a simple set and made it interesting, and functional, and molded his small cast into three excellent characters. It was a LOT of fun.

Friday night (and Saturday night, for that matter), we attended Cabell Midland's performance of "Little Shop of Horrors". That show has always been one of my favorites since I saw it at the Orpheum Theatre in New York City in the late 1970s. Midland's production was excellent! John Wolfe was terrific (as usual) as Seymour, and Ashton Ernst was funny as ditzy Audry. The narrating trio was great, especially the pretty soprano (disclaimer: that's my daughter)! The plant stole the show, particularly after promising to eat the audience (and Cleveland). Very nice performance -- probably the best high school production I've ever seen!

Sunday, my lovely wife (the same one!) and I ventured to cold Columbus to see "12 Angry Men" as part of the Broadway Across America series. This show featured George Wendt (Norm in 'Cheers') as Juror #1, the foreman, and Richard Thomas (John Boy from 'The Waltons') as Juror #8, the same part played by Henry Fonda in the 1957 movie. Wendt really didn't have that much to do, but Thomas was excellent. The show is very much an ensemble cast, and this production had 12 very, very good characters to enhance the show's development. It was very much worth the drive!

Next weekend we're scheduled to see "Babes in Toyland" and "A Christmas Carol", then off to "CATS" in Columbus the following weekend! What's the old saying...no rest for the wicked?

No comments: