Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

We Are Marshall - The Review

Hey, not to step on the toes of my pal Justin McElroy (whose fine blog, “Marshall Movie News,” is just a click away – the link is over there on the right side of this page), but I finally saw "We Are Marshall," and while I admit to being prejudiced, I have to say: what a great movie!

Kudos to all involved for making a film that is respectful without being maudlin, funny without being stupid and heartfelt without being cloying. Take a handkerchief, but be prepared to laugh a lot, too.

All the actors turn in great performances. Matthew McConaughey is perfect as Coach Jack Lengyel – he’s very funny but very real, and he holds the film together. Matthew Fox is amazing as Red Dawson, who really carries the emotional burden of the story, and his emotions play out across his face – he’s great in this film. David Strathairn nearly steals the movie as Marshall’s President – his part is understated, but he makes a perfect foil for Lengyel’s antics and Ian McShane’s bitter resident (also spot-on in this movie). McConaughey’s last line to Strathairn (which I won’t spoil here) is my favorite in the film.

The players are perfectly cast, including Anthony Mackie as Nate Ruffin, who is the heart of the team and has the most touching scene in the film. Special kudos to MU (and Cabell-Midland) basketball star Mark Patton, who has a couple of fun scenes.

It was also fun to see friends showing up on the big screen, including Keith Morehouse (who shows up as a kid and all grown up), C.E. Wilson (remember, there are no small parts – just brief cameos) and WSAZ-TV’s Doug Korstanje, who looked right at home in the press conference. I’m sure there are others I’ll spot in upcoming viewings. It was also fun to pick out local settings where exteriors were shot.

But imagine my surprise to discover that - even though I'm not on screen - I actually shot part of the movie! To catch it, you have to watch very, very closely.

At the end of the movie, they recap what happened since 1971 and included a couple of shots from a Marshall game that was shot by yours truly. In 1984 Marshall managed its first winning season in almost 20 years, but it came down to the last game of the season, a game at East Tennessee State. At the time, WOWK-TV produced the coach's show, so they shot video at every game. Marshall was 5-and-5 going into that last game, and WOWK was the only station that sent a videographer to the game. I was the one tapped for camera duty (my wife made the trip with me, and though we didn't know it yet, she was pregnant with our first child - so Justin was there, too). Ordinarily we shot footage from the press box, but our Sports Director, Terry Bumgarner, knew that a victory would mean lots of emotion on the sidelines, so if it looked like Marshall was going to win (or could possibly win), I was to take my camera down to the sidelines and get footage of the celebration. As the fourth quarter started, the game was close, so I went to the sidelines. Marshall won and I was there to shoot the players hoisting Coach Stan Parrish on their shoulders and the celebration that followed. That's the shot that appears in the movie.

After the game I was gathering up my equipment and ran into my old pal, sports writer Jody Jividen (God rest his soul). We had been through many of those losing years for Marshall, and we gave each other an exuberant “high five” to celebrate the end of the team’s losing streak. Little did we know how much higher Marshall would soar in the years ahead.

Of course, I didn’t get a credit at the end of the movie, but that’s OK. Heck, they didn't even credit the TV station. Still, it was pretty cool to see my work up there, if just for a few seconds.

But (as much as I hate to admit it) it would have been a great movie even without it. Congrats to the director, McG, and everyone else involved, for creating a classy movie that’s respectful, heartfelt and a lot of fun. Highly recommended for everyone,

No comments: