Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Grease is the Word

Well, I did my duty and watched "Grease: You're the One That I Want" on NBC tonight. For those who don't know, the show gives the viewers the chance to vote for the leads for the upcoming Broadway production of "Grease." They're fighting it out for the parts of Danny and Sandy, played in the film version by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. Olivia was a guest on tonight's show, and she looks great - I've always been crazy about her. (Don't tell my wife!)

I was certainly impressed by Derek Keeling, whose hometown is listed as Charleston, WV. I thought he was from Scott Depot? Still, he was the first singer on the stage (after an opening group number), and he was terrific.

The show itself is obviously an "homage" to "American Idol," using the same format for performances, the same number of judges and the same incredibly enthusiastic audience. The hosts I could do without - they're a bit plastic for my tastes - but the performers are all very talented. Since I came in on the middle, I'm not at all familiar with the performers, so I don't find myself as hooked on this show as I am on "Idol," but since it's theatre-related I'll hang with it.

I certainly like Derek's chances - he's a handsome guy who certainly looks the part of Danny, and he has a great voice and a strong stage presence - he was working the crowd.

We'll keep you updated as the show rolls along.

3 comments:

Angela Henderson-Bentley said...

Chuck, Just wanted to give your readers a heads-up that the Derek fans out there may need to vote again next week, even though the show is a re-run. I'll keep you posted here and at my blog, "Stay Tuned"...

Chuck Minsker said...

What shameless cross-promotion! (Just kidding!) Thanks, Angela! And, dear readers, you should be checking out Angela's blog on TV every day - it's on my "Favorites" list. (But don't forget to visit us here, too.)

Angela Henderson-Bentley said...

Okay, so here's the deal for all of you Derek fans out there. Yes, NBC is giving people a second chance to vote this week based on last week's performances. You can vote on-line at www.nbc.com from 10:55 p.m. to 5 a.m. this Sunday/Monday. HOWEVER, you can only vote 10 times per e-mail address. You can vote 200 times by phone and those lines will be open from 10:55 p.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday/Monday. As you may recall, Derek's number was 1-888-IVOTE-01.