Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Remembering Memorial Day

I apparently had the same childhood as our pal Jim Ross, because his "Hot Topics" blog entry about Memorial Day could have been written by me (well, most of it, but only if I was a better writer).

When I was young, Memorial Day was a big holiday. A huge gathering of my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins would form a caravan of vehicles, visiting rural graveyards and putting flowers on the graves of relatives who died long ago. My Uncle Claude would place a small American flag on the graves of the veterans.

We'd have a picnic lunch at a roadside site (back when such things existed) and eventually make our way home. It really wasn't a somber event - it was more a celebration of those who had passed on.

I'm afraid I haven't managed to continue the tradition, although, since moving out on my own, I have spent a few Memorial Days visiting the graves of family members. I like to think that you can observe the day by taking a few moments and remembering your loved ones - even the ancestors who you never met. We wouldn't be here without them! Then again, maybe it's time to revive the family tradition. I wonder where Uncle Claude bought those flags?

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!

No comments: