Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Star Wars Hits 30

Not to step on the toes of my pal Maureen, who does a fine job hosting the "Movie Maven" blog, but I can't let the weekend pass without noting the 30th Anniversary of the first showing of the movie "Star Wars" (back before it was known as "Episode IV" or "A New Hope").

The movie was first released May 25, 1977, to only 32 theaters around the country - none of them in West Virginia, unfortunately. But within a few weeks the studio executives realized they had a blockbuster on their hands and the film landed in local theaters.

I remember standing in line on that opening night at the Capital Theater in Charleston, W.Va. - and the line was so long, I actually had to wait for the next showing. It was (and still is) an amazing movie-going experience, and I must have seen the movie a half-dozen times over the weeks ahead, dragging all my friends along for the experience.

Now, "Star Wars" is a world-wide phenomenon, and there's a new animated TV show in the works to carry on the legacy. Don't be surprised if, several years down the road, we see more movies created by a new generation of filmmakers.

It was great fun, years ago, to take my kids to see the re-release of the "Star Wars" movies. Perhaps someday I'll be dragging my grandkids along to see the next generation of "Star Wars" films. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

No comments: