Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Musical Version of "A Christmas Story?"

Under the category of "is nothing sacred," we find a story today on the Playbill website about the premiere of a new musical based on the hilarious movie A Christmas Story - which was in turn based on Jean Shepherd's stories of growing up in the 1930s and dreaming of owning a Red Ryder BB Gun.

There's been a non-musical stage version of the story in existence for quite a few years - I've directed it twice with First Stage Theatre, and it's a very funny show, thank you - but a musical?

I should quickly add that, since I've never seen the musical, for all I know it's a wonderful show and even better than the original (It's apparently selling out shows like crazy, so this is likely). But the material is so good already, I'm not sure how songs are going to improve it.

According to the story (which you can read right here):
Jean Shepherd's nostalgic and comic stories of holidays past are regifted in the world premiere of A Christmas Story, The Musical!, opening Nov. 28 at the Kansas City Repertory Theatre.

Scott Davenport Richards penned the score to the musical based on the Jean Shepherd stories and the 1983 MGM film. The libretto is by Joseph Robinette. A Christmas Story, The Musical!, which has already broken box office records at KC Rep, is aiming for a 2010 Broadway debut.

Songs in the production include "Getting Ready for Christmas," "Take That!," "I Won (A Major Award)," "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!," "Ho, Ho, Ho!," "I'm Awake," "On Christmas, We Go Eat Chinese" and "There Must Be Something We've Forgotten."
Would I go see it? Of course! I love the movie, I love the original stories, I love the play, and musicals are always fun. What's not to like? (Sorry about those opening paragraphs - I was just channeling a bit of Scrooge there.)

2 comments:

Len LaCara said...

Here's a review from The Kansas City Star.

Chuck Minsker said...

Thanks, Len! Hope you and yours had a great holiday!

It looks like a mostly positive review - I'd certainly like to see the show, and something tells me I'll get the chance, one of these days.