Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Another "Noises Off" e-Interview!

Time's running out, so here's another e-Interview with one of the stars of Noises Off, which wraps up this weekend at Huntington's City Hall auditorium.

In the photo above you see our interviewee, Roger Hagley (left) as Selsdon, Mike Murdock (center) as Lloyd and Michael Naglee as Frederick in a photo courtesy of Pam Hagley.

Here's what Roger had to say:

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Roger: I portray Selsdon Quimby Mowbray, an actor who has been "trodding the boards" since childhood. He is schooled in the classics and was once the most sought-out actor in all the British Empire. He is taking life at a slower pace now, and took the small character role in this production, just to work again with his old friend Dotty Otley. It is true that he likes to imbibe in a sip or two now and then, but these rumours of overindulgence are greatly exaggerated.

Q: Why did you want to be part of Noises Off?

Roger: I have wanted to do this show since I saw the movie. I believe that Carol Burnett is one of the greatest comedic geniuses of our time. The entire cast of the movie was outstanding, as I believe the cast of our production is also. This is probably the most talented cast I have ever worked with, as well as the friendliest. I would say they are like family, but I love the cast too much to say that about them!

Q: What's the most challenging thing about this show?

Roger: To tell you the truth, this group makes it such a pleasure to be here, everything involved in doing the show comes fairly easy. Personally, just having time to balance it with the rest of my life can be a challenge at times. Thank God I have an understanding wife that indulges me in my addiction!

Q: The show is very funny, very precise and moves very fast in places. Was it a difficult show to learn?

Roger: Much more difficult than it would appear. As I am sure you know, this is a play about doing a play. It has three acts. Each of those acts involves "performing" act one of the play within the play. Should be easy, right? Nope. Because things continue to go from bad to worse with each telling due to the backstage conflict. There is much more drama backstage than on stage! Anyone who has done live theatre will identify with the behind the scenes shenanigans!

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Roger: It is hands down, without a doubt, one of the funniest shows ever written! There is a remarkable cast and crew presenting it, and to quote my favorite band, "A splendid time is guaranteed for all!" The laughter will release a flood of endorphins into your brain that will give you the best night's sleep you have had in years and keep a smile on your face well into the next day. For the record I am not a physician, but I did play one once.

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

Roger: Friday and Saturday at 8:00 p.m., then the final show Sunday at 2:30 p.m. I hope I see you there!

Thanks, Roger!

No comments: