Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, March 08, 2012

One More e-Interview for "How I Learned to Drive"

We have one more e-interview for you from the cast of How I Learned to Drive, which starts tonight in Huntington.

This time around, let's hear from Rhett Pennell, who plays "Uncle Peck."

Q: Why did you want to be part of How I Learned to Drive?

Rhett: I auditioned not knowing much about the play. Truth be told, the appeal was that as a drama it would have a shorter rehearsal run than the musical I was in with the Curtains Up Players last year - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I certainly enjoyed my time with CUP in that show, but I'm STILL getting complaints from my seven-year-old daughter about how many nights I was away for that one. THIS show has been a dream - just about every rehearsal has fallen on a night my little lady has her Tae Kwon Do classes... so no complaints.

Now, if you tweak this question into "Why am I thrilled to be IN How I Learned To Drive?" then the answer is that this is a show with rich meat on its bones (there are many reasons it's a Pulitzer Prize winner). It tackles big, dark issues, but it does it with warmth and humor. I'm not so far from my professional acting days (ran off to New York City in the '90s and spent years on the road in National Tours of Children's Shows) that I can't appreciate what a gift I've got in this role - a damaged soul making bad choices and looking for love in the most inappropriate places. It's going to be an acting roller coaster for me come March 8 - 11.

Q: What's the most challenging thing about being in this play?

Rhett: The answer to that is going to change as we get closer to the performances. Right now, my challenge is trying to get the words of Paula Vogel's southern, damaged, middle-aged, alcoholic pedophile to come out of my mouth. As I get a grip on the role, the challenge will be to convince the audience that this is a man worth caring about.

Q: Tell us a bit about your fellow cast members.

I've known Nancy Jackson (Female Chorus) since "Joseph" and have found her to be a wonderful asset to any show (plus my family loves hanging out with her family offstage). The rest of the cast is made of of the Morris family - Kate Morris (Li'l Bit), Greg Morris (Male Chorus), and Olivia (Teenage Chorus) - who are certainly a talented bunch of individuals and who have been known to host a classy soirée at their lovely home. This is Kate's show, and she's going to be great. (Oh, um, Greg will be great, too... and I'm not just saying that because I'll be kissing his wife onstage). And I'd be remiss not to mention our director, Misha Renee, who's the driving force behind this production and whose heartfelt devotion to this play is palpable and inspirational.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Rhett: Because, if we do our jobs right, they are going to laugh, be disturbed, and be moved by this story of a young woman who has been given the tools to deal with the darkness in her life by the unlikeliest of sources. It's a play with serious themes, but there is also love and life and hope.

Q: When and where will the show be staged?

Rhett: Performances will be at the Jeslyn Performing Arts Center (formerly the Camelot Theatre) 1030 4th Avenue, Huntington, on March 8 - 11, Thursday thru Saturday at 8 p.m., Sunday Matinee at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $10. Please come! (But don't tell my daughter... she'll never be allowed to see it.)

No comments: