Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

An Interview with “Medea” Actor Becky McClelland

   Let’s continue our interviews with the cast of Medea, which is being presented by ARTS in Huntington tonight and next weekend.

   The (nearly) all-female cast is loaded with talent, including the lovely Becky McClelland. Here’s our interview with her: 

Q: For those not familiar with the show, tell us about Medea.

Becky: I like to say Medea herself is the embodiment of the phrase, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." It is the ancient Greek story of Medea, from Asia, who married Jason, a Greek, and moved with him to Greece, breaking all ties (with classic 'Medea' violence) from her home country and her family. Now living in Greece with Jason and their two sons, Jason betrays her with a golden-haired princess. Medea, a witch, is not pleased with this and spends the remainder of the show planning and carrying out her revenge.

Q: How does the show relate to modern-day audiences?

Becky: The theme of betrayal and unfaithfulness is something we all are familiar with. She is hurt. She wants Jason to hurt. Who can't relate to that?

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Becky: I play one of the chorus women of Corinth. As a Greek chorus, nearly every line given by chorus is spoken in unison with at least one other person. Our chorus is broken into three 'personalities.' My group is the one who loves to 'stir the pot' and enjoys watching the destruction of everyone in Medea's path.

Q: Has it been fun working with an almost all-female cast?

Becky: Wow! What an opportunity! This is a show about a female who takes control of her life lead by Director Leah Turley who is such an encourager. It has been such a great experience!

Q: What is your background in theater?

Becky: My first show was almost a year ago (Crazy for You; October 2014) here at ARTS. This will be my fourth show as an actor. I've been the props mistress for one show and helped with costuming for several as well while at ARTS. I had the opportunity to build costumes for this entire show in addition to acting in it. I should be totally finished with costumes tonight. It's a good thing!

Q: Why did you want to be a part of this show?

Becky: To be honest, when I was offered the role as a part of my Resident Company bid last November I wasn't overly excited about it. My thoughts were, "It's a Greek tragedy and I'm just a chorus member. It's not going to be exciting, but at least I'll get to be on stage." I am so pleased to say how wrong I was about all of that! This 'chorus' role is the biggest role I've had yet and the show anything but boring! It's such a great show!

Q: Why would you recommend this show?

Becky: This show is so good! Medea, played by Joanna Berner Murdock, is captivating. The story is so incredibly horrible. And the cast is absolutely on their toes! Add to that the beautifully simple set and stunning lighting by Nathan Bradley and it's a show you won't soon forget. I hope to see you there! 

   Thanks, Becky!

   Medea is being presented by Arts Resources for the Tri-State (ARTS). The classic play will be staged on Aug. 22, 28 and 29 at 8 p.m. on the ARTS Renaissance Main Stage at 900 8th Street in Huntington. Tickets are $15 for the show only, or $30 for dinner and the show. Reservations are required for the dinner - call 304-733-2787. 

No comments: