Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, February 04, 2016

"As You Like It" Interview with Kate Morris

   Tomorrow the play As You Like It takes the stage in Huntington for the first of its final two shows - and we have two more interviews with the cast to share! (I know, I said the same thing yesterday - but we received one more interview today!)

   So here’s our next-to-the-last interview (so far), as the lovely and talented Kate Morris tells us about the joys of a Shakespeare play:

Q: How does the show relate to modern-day audiences?

Kate: Who doesn’t love love? It’s a fun and playful romp through the forest. Unless you don’t like fun. Then you definitely shouldn’t come see it. But even if you don’t like fun, you might like Jaques because he doesn’t like fun either. So you should still see it!

Q: Tell us about the character you play

Kate: My part of the story is about two young women who make a bold decision to leave their oppressive life at home and go on an adventure. It’s like Thelma and Louise in corsets. I play Celia, Rosalind’s devoted, fearless, and spirited cousin and best friend. She always looks on the bright side and doesn’t take life too seriously even when things look bleak. It’s nice to be able to go to the theatre each night and live in the shoes of someone with such a positive outlook on life. Speaking of shoes, the costumes are wonderful. Anna Baker and Becky McClelland have outdone themselves.

Q: What's your background in theatre? 

Kate: The theatre has been drawing me in with its siren song since I was a teenager. Whether it’s on stage, backstage or in the audience, I can’t seem to stay away.

Q: Tell us about the cast.

Kate: As Celia, I spend a lot of time on stage observing and listening without talking. I have the best seat in the house to watch this talented cast work hard to create a neighborhood of characters that speak beautiful words and feel honest emotions. I have to admit I wasn’t completely sure we could pull this off in the allotted rehearsal time, what with illnesses and holidays and snow, but I am as proud of this show as any I’ve been in. More.

Q: Why did you want to be part of this show?

Kate: Shakespeare is always a challenge for me. Shakespeare’s comedies are even more so. I like a challenge. 

Q: Why would you recommend this show?

Kate: It’s cold outside, but it’s warm and cozy in the Forest of Arden. Come “live a little; comfort a little; cheer thyself a little.” 

Q: And how do you like it?

Kate: Above freezing.

   Thanks, Kate!

   As You Like It by William Shakespeare will be presented at the ARTS Renaissance Ballroom at 900 8th Street in Huntington on Feb. 5 and 6 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 for the show only, and $30 for dinner and show - for dinner, you must make a reservation by calling 304-733-2787.

No comments: