Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Interview with the cast of "Honk Jr!"

   Talking the stage this weekend in Huntington (and only this weekend) is the terrific musical comedy Honk Jr! 

   First Stage Theatre presents a talented cast bringing the show to life at the auditorium at Huntington High School on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 

   We have some interviews with the cast to share! Let’s hear from a trio of talented actors: Kylie Wright (Mother Swan), Emma Maynard (Beaky), and Abby Roe (Froglet):

Q. Tell us about Honk Jr!

Kylie: Honk Jr! Is the story of the Ugly Duckling. This show is about finding your true self, finding acceptance, and loving your self for who you are. It shares a positive message with people. You get to meet a lot of fun characters and it is very entertaining for all. 

Emma: Honk Jr! tells a story about how being "different" can sometimes be hard, but in the end, being who you really are is all that matters!

Abby: There are lots of animals in it. There are geese, swans, ducks, frogs, and turkeys!  Honk Jr. is basically the Ugly Duckling, only a different version.

Q. Why did you want to be in this show?

Emma: I wanted to be in Honk Jr!, because I love being around “My People.” I never feel "different" around my Theatre friends. We treat each other like family. The same way the Ugly Duckling wants to be treated. 

Abby: Every single year I want to do theater.

Kylie: I love being in musicals. The show seemed really cute and had a very good moral to it. I also love getting to hang out and have fun with old friends and make new ones.

Q. Tell us about the character you play.

Abby: Well, I am a froglet in the show. The froglets sing and dance. My character is funny and happy and tells good advice. It's not what you look like (on the outside) that counts. It's what you look like on the inside that counts. 

Kylie: I play Mother Swan who is Penny's mother. She is very sweet and kind and gives Ida comfort when she needs it most.

Emma: I play a sassy duckling named "Beaky" who isn't always very nice to my brother, the Ugly Duckling. By the end of the show, I learn how special my brother really was all along, and I'm proud to be his sister.

Q. Tell us about your favorite song or scene in the show.

Kylie: This is a super hard decision because there are a lot that I love but if I had to pick I would say "Warts and All.” I picked this song because it's fun and upbeat. I like that it is a positive moment for Ugly. It lets him know that he should be confident in who he is and not worry about what others think.

Emma: My favorite part of the show is the Blizzard Scene. I like getting into all of the emotion in the song we sing, and I think the audience will love watching the pretty dance number.

Abby: The Blizzard. I like the singing. 

Q. Is this show just for little kids?

Emma: Honk Jr! is great for any age! We've all felt different at some point in our lives, and that's okay. This show helps us understand why.

Abby: It is for little kids and BIG kids. Grownups can see it too. 

Kylie: No!!! It's based on a classic story that everyone should be familiar with. It has really great songs, characters, and funny scenes. I feel that people of all ages should enjoy it. 

Q. Why should our readers see this show?

Abby: Because it's really good. And you can see lots of details on the animals. There are lots of funny jokes from the bullfrog, at least two funny jokes. There are lots of other funny parts.

Kylie: The show is very enjoyable and entertaining . It's a great and fun way to spend time with your family.

Emma: Honk! Jr. is a very fun show to sing along with from the audience, and it teaches us all a very important lesson. You'll learn there's nothing wrong with being different!

Q: Thanks, Kylie, Emma and Abby!

   First Stage Theatre Company presents the beloved musical Honk Jr! based on the story of the Ugly Duckling. Shows will be presented one weekend only, on March 10 and 11 at 7:30 p.m. and March 12 at 2 p.m. at Huntington High School at 1 Highlander Way in Huntington. Tickets are available at the door or by calling 304-416-5437. Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for children 12 and under.

No comments: