Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Interview with Aaliyah from "Poe's Midnight Dreary"

   Friday marks the premiere public performance for the Halloween show Poe’s Midnight Dreary, being presented by First Stage Theatre at Huntington Middle School. 

   Here’s the next in our series of interviews with the cast - let’s hear from the talented Aaliyah Walls, who plays several roles in the play.

Q: What is the play Poe's Midnight Dreary about?

Aaliyah:  This performance is about telling the life of Edgar Allen Poe, featuring many of his written works, including "The Raven,” "The Tell-Tale Heart,” and many more.

Q: Tell us about the parts you play.

Aaliyah: I play Virginia / Madeline, Poe's love interest. I also play Pluto, the black cat, and Allouisious' mother. I love playing all of my parts, but it is definitely hard to change so quickly in a shorter play such as this one.

Q: Why did you want to be part of this play?

Aaliyah: I wanted to be in this show to entertain and educate others about Edgar Allen Poe. I also just really love to act and to be onstage.

Q: Do you have a favorite scene in the play?

Aaliyah: All of the scenes are very fun to act out and watch, but I have to say that one of my favorite scenes was with Bertram. Lauren does such a great job portraying the character.

Q: What shows have you done before - or is this your first play?

Aaliyah: This is my sixth show in First Stage Theater. I have done three musicals, including "Aladdin Jr." and "School of Rock.” I've also acted in two non-musicals, my latest one being "Without Strings.” I've also acted in many grade school plays.

Q: If a kid reading this was thinking about trying out for a play, what would you tell them?

Aaliyah: I would encourage them to just go for it. Even if you don't make it, that should still encourage you to try harder next time! When you make it into a show, play your part the very best you can, no matter how small or big.

Q: Why would you recommend Poe's Midnight Dreary?

Aaliyah: Watching this show from offstage and acting onstage has really given me a sense of what Poe really was like (not to mention that Lillian is absolutely perfect for the part), and it also has a scary theme to it that is perfect for the month of October.

Q: Thanks, Aaliyah!

Poe’s Midnight Dreary - First Stage Theatre Company presents the play based on Edgar Allen Poe’s most famous works, told through the characters as they visit Poe on his deathbed. It will be presented on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 20 and 21 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 21 and 22 at 2:30 p.m. at the Huntington Middle School auditorium at 935 3rd Street. Tickets at $8 for adults and $6 for children age 12 and under and senior citizens. 

No comments: