Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Interview with Mandy Harper with "The Odd Couple"

   Tonight wraps up the first weekend of performances for the ARTS production of the classic Neil Simon comedy The Odd Couple - so let’s continue our interviews with the show’s actors!

   The show features a mostly-male cast, but a couple of talented females also take the stage - so for today’s interviews, let’s hear from the lovely and talented Mandy Harper, who plays Cecily Pigeon

Q: Why did you want to be part of The Odd Couple

Mandy: I've always wanted to do comedy and never really had the chance. Neil Simon is amazing and I'm so excited to be able to do one of his shows. It's so very different than the types of shows I'm used to acting in.

Q: Tell us about the character you play. 

Mandy: I play Cecily Pigeon. She and her sister Gwen are neighbors to Oscar. She is absolutely clueless and very "COO-COO" and you could say over the top obnoxious, but in a cute way.

Q: What's your background in theatre? 

Mandy: I've been doing theatre since I was very small. I did community theatre in Charleston growing up. I studied Acting at Pace University for a year in New York City. I transferred to Marshall my sophomore year and graduated this past May with a B.F.A in Theatre Performance. My favorite show I've ever done would have to be "Circle Mirror Transformation" by Annie Baker at Marshall University. Theatre is my life and I intend on moving to the West Coast in a year or so to study at a Meisner conservatory.

Q: What's the most challenging thing about doing a comedy like this? 

Mandy: It is so hard not to laugh on stage. Seriously, Robert Hutchens and James Holley kill me but I have to hold it together until I am off stage. I keep reminding myself that the audience will think it's funnier if you act completely serious.

Q: Tell us about the talented cast. 

Mandy: I love working with this cast! Robert is AMAZING as Felix. Seriously, absolutely on point. And of course James too and everyone else. I love getting to work with these people! Everyone brings 100 percent to the stage every night and it's such a fun experience and I am so thankful!

Q: Why would you recommend this show?

Mandy: If you want to come laugh your socks off then come see this show. It's like you're in the living room of Felix and Oscars house. Seriously, you won't be disappointed!

Q: Thanks, Mandy!


The Odd Couple by Neil Simon will be presented by Arts Resources for the Tri-State (ARTS) on Oct. 14, 19, 20 and 21 at 8 p.m. at the ARTS Renaissance Ballroom at 900 8th Street in Huntington. Tickets are $15 for the show only and $30 for both dinner and the show. Reservations are required for the dinner - call 304-734-2787. 

No comments: