Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, February 27, 2020

"Follies" Interview with Rebekah Sword



    We’re just a week away from the musical Follies taking the stage - and we have an interview with a member of the cast to share! 

   Today let talk to the lovely and talented Rebekah Sword, who plays “Solange.”

Q: What is “Follies” about? 

Rebekah: “Follies” is mainly about the interconnected relationships of two couples. They are haunted by ghosts of the past - ghosts of their choices, lost loves, and mistakes. The backdrop for the main love triangle and conflict in these marriages is a cocktail party where those who once performed in the follies come back together before their home theater becomes a parking lot. 

Q: Why did you want to be part of this show? 

Rebekah: I wanted to be a part of this show because I love singing Stephen Sondheim and it’s uncommon in our area for a Sondheim work to be performed. I also love working with director Bil Neal. I haven’t had the opportunity to be on stage in about two years, so when this opportunity came along, I had to take it. 

Q: Tell us about the character you play. 

Rebekah: The character I play is Solange LaFitte, a French former showgirl turned perfume mogul.  She had brought along her perfumes and is attempting to drum up sales amongst her former friends and colleagues. She is possibly going to branch out into skincare or makeup sales as she brags about looking “this good at 66” - an age that she cannot possibly be. 

Q: What's your background in theatre?

Rebekah: I have a degree in voice from WVU and was active in their opera theater during my time there. I was also active in Marshall’s opera theater while finishing up my English degree. I have performed with 5th Avenue Theater Company, Kanawha Players, and ARTS previously. I am really more of a singer than I am an actor, but I do enjoy getting to perform in any capacity.  

Q: This is Alchemy’s first musical production - what’s more challenging, the singing or the dancing? 

Rebekah: The dancing.  In every show that I’ve ever been in, dancing has been the bane of my existence and I have been a choreographer’s nightmare.  I am truly a “park and bark” singer, but choreographer Amy Browning has been so patient and attentive to my lack of skill and coordination. 

Q: Do you have a favorite number in the show? 

Rebekah: It is so hard to choose just one song as a favorite.  I honestly don’t believe that I can.  One of my favorites is Carlotta’s “I’m Still Here.”  This was one of the few songs that I knew before beginning this show.  Mary Olsen does a brilliant job of being clever and poignant.  It’s a beautiful song that can make a listener both laugh and cry.  I also love “The-God-Why-Don’t-You-Love-Me-Blues.”  While Dr. John Campbell does a wonderful job with this, the two showgirls representing Margie and Sally, played by Johanna Murdock and Nora Ankrom, are hysterical.  I have watched it many times and it never fails to make me laugh.  

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Rebekah: This show has something for everyone.  There are beautiful dancing girls.  There’s fabulous music.  There are brilliant actors.  There’s passion and pain.  There’s humor.  It’s just a brilliant work and Bil has done a fabulous job with it.  The play sucks me in and I get very angry at the characters of Ben and Sally.  I feel sorry for Buddy.  I cheer for Phyllis – my favorite character.  If you see this play for no other reason, see it for Jane Modlin’s Phyllis.  

   Thanks, Rebekah!


   “Follies” - the musical will be presented by Alchemy Theatre on March 6, 7, 8, 13 and 14 at 7:30 p.m., and March 8 at 2 p.m. at The Janice Chandler Auditorium (The Cabell County Board of Education Building) at 2850 5th Avenue in Huntington. Tickets are $15 each.

No comments: