Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, March 07, 2020

"Follies" Interview with Kristen Rucker


   The musical Follies has been getting rave reviews for its opening performance last night - and you have just four chances left to catch the show (two this weekend and two next weekend)!

    We have a few more interviews with the cast to share, so let’s hear from the lovely and talented Kristen Rucker, who plays a Showgirl Ghost!

Q: Why did you want to be part of this show? 

Kristen: After taking dance lessons throughout my childhood and performing at end-of-season recitals, I danced in few musicals in my later teens and twenties. Once my education career got started, I didn't have as much time for dance and theatre so I haven't danced in a show in years. I am so excited to be on stage again, and I feel so lucky to be working on Follies with such a talented cast.

Q: Tell us about the character you play. 

Kristen: I play a ghost/showgirl which is just a dream. Who doesn't want to be a showgirl? 

Q: What's your background in theatre? 

Kristen: My background is mostly in dance. I taught ballet / tap / jazz for 10 years at The Turning Pointe, which was at Heritage Station in the late '90s and early 2000s. Since then, I've been a Zumba instructor and taken adult ballet lessons at Huntington Dance Theatre.

Q: This is Alchemy’s first musical production - what’s more challenging, the singing or the dancing? 

Kristen: Since I don't really sing in the show, the most challenging aspect for me has been dancing en pointe, which I haven't done for about 20 years so I've been working really hard to get my feet back in shape. Even though it's been difficult, it feels a bit like coming home.

Q: Do you have a favorite number in the show? 

Kristen: All of the numbers are so good. Jinnie's "Losing My Mind" is so haunting and beautiful. "The-God-Why-Don't-You-Love-Me-Blues" number is my favorite thing; I laugh every time. My favorite costume and number of mine is "Loveland."  Our director, Bil Neal, says it's yummy, and he's right.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers? 

Kristen: Seeing all of these talented people on stage together feels like a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think people will find characters to which they relate. Plus, we have SHOWGIRLS!

   Thanks, Kristen!


   Follies - the musical will be presented by Alchemy Theatre on March 7, 13 and 14 at 7:30 p.m., and March 8 at 2 p.m. at The Janice Chandler Auditorium (The Cabell County Board of Education Building) at 2850 5th Avenue in Huntington. Tickets are $15 each.

No comments: