Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Getting Into Local Theatre - Part 1

So how does a guy who had never been on the stage get involved with community theatre? It’s the same story that many other people could tell – namely, I got involved because of my kids.

Back in 1995 my oldest son (who was 10 at the time) decided to try out for the children's theatre production of “The Wizard of Oz.” He was cast in a dual role as one of the Witch’s guards and as a person of Oz. He had one line – “Hail to Dorothy, the Wicked Witch is dead!” – and that began an involvement for the whole family that continues to this day.

I should admit that, at the time, I was working for a local television station, where I produced children’s programming, including “Kidsmag,” a news show hosted by young people, and numerous original children’s specials. Directing children for television would eventually lead me to directing for the stage.

Not long after “Oz,” I was invited to become a board member for the children’s theatre – and I’m still doing that, too. In no time, my other son was acting in shows, and my wife became a director and producer, too.

Next: What was my first job in the theatre? Here’s a clue: testing… testing… one… two… three.

No comments: