Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What's So Great About Theatre

There's a scene in an episode of "The Simpsons" where an unidentified couple are watching a bad stage show, and the man turns to the woman and says, "And this is better than a movie... HOW?"

Well, it made me laugh.

But I was reminded last night why theatre is so much fun. I was watching six young girls rehearsing a scene for the upcoming "Babes in Toyland." They were learning a dance from director Amy Browning, and Tom Hastie, the only adult on stage in the show (he plays the Toymaker), was giving pointers to the young performers on their dance steps. The sheer enthusiasm and joy just radiated from those actors - young and not-quite-so-young alike.

As I started to leave, one of the girls stopped me and said, "You have to watch us run through the whole song." So I did - and it was delightful. Adorable. Cute. Funny. And then some.

I can't wait to see this show - it's got "Holiday Classic" written all over it.

No comments: