Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Getting Into Local Theatre - Part 4

I actually agreed to be a director before I became an actor (to use the term loosely). Here’s how it worked: In the spring of 2000, First Stage Theatre decided its holiday offering later that year would be “A Christmas Story” (that’s the one about the kid who wants a BB Gun for Christmas, but everyone tells him, “You’ll put your eye out.”) I have been a huge fan of the movie since stumbling onto it during its brief appearance at local theaters in 1983, and I was looking for the right show to tackle as my first effort at directing for the stage, so I offered to direct it, and the board members of First Stage said “OK.”

Then doubt crept in - did I really have any business directing actors on stage when I had never been on stage myself? By happy coincidence, Huntington Outdoor Theatre announced they were going to stage two shows the summer of 2000 - “Cinderella” and “1776.” Here was my chance! (No, not “Cinderella.”) I had seen the movie “1776” when it was first released in the early ‘70s and loved it. It tells the story of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and yes, that may sound dull, but it’s a delightful show with some great songs, lots of humor and drama. Even though you know how it ends, you’ll find yourself thinking, “They’re never going to get this thing approved.” If you get a chance to see the movie or the play, you won’t regret it.

Where was I? Oh, yes - this was my chance! For a show like “1776,” they were going to need lots and lots of men - always a scarcity in local productions. I thought, I’ll try out, hopefully manage to get a small part, and then I’ll have some stage experience to guide me when I start directing. Even better, the show was being directed by Marshall professor Gene Anthony - a professional actor, a fantastic director and all-around great guy. The lessons he imparted were invaluable.

The auditions were held on the stage at the old Huntington High School, and somehow I muddled through, despite being scared to death - I’ve always been shy and not wild about getting up in front of people to talk, let alone sing and dance - but being on stage seemed like a good way to fight that fear. It’s hard to tell from the perspective of the one auditioning, but I think I did fine during the reading and I squeaked by the singing audition (no worries about having to tackle any solos), but the most difficult part was the dancing audition, in which I tried (unsuccessfully) to hide at the back of the group.

When the cast list was posted, amazingly enough (or perhaps a sign of their desperation), I was in the show, cast as the delegate from New Jersey, The Rev. John Witherspoon. A modest part, with a handful of lines, a nifty entrance and no solos. My plan had worked!

But the fun was just beginning.

Next: Rehearsals

No comments: