Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

An Interview About "Copacabana"

Time for an e-interview with my pal Zach Davis, who happens to be one of the stars of Copacabana, which runs this weekend at Ashland Community and Technical College.

Here's what he had to say:

Q: For those who haven't seen it, what is the musical Copacabana about?


Zach: Copacabana is a musical based on the famous song by Barry Manilow. The story is about a young song writer named Stephen who tells the a love story of a young couple to his wife Samantha. The story dates back to 1947 in the glorious Technicolor world of the famous Copacabana Night Club. Stephen tells the story of Lola La Mar and Tony Forte.

Q: Why did you want to be part of this production?


Zach: I wanted to take part in this production because it isn't a typical musical and it has never been performed in the Tri-state area by any community theate group. It did come through several years ago on a national tour at the Paramount. I saw an opportunity for growth as an actor in the production as well. I also took part as a tribute to my late Nanny who loved Barry Manilow's music. She lost the fight to Lung Cancer in June.

Q: What part do you play in the show?

Zach: I play the male lead - Stephen / Tony Forte, a young struggling songwriter.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Zach: I recommend the show because: 1) It's a high energy show that is new to the area; 2) the orchestra is dressed and on stage and they are the best sounding band I have heard in a play in years; 3) the costumer has created such amazing masterpieces for the actors.; 4) it is a musical comedy and those just simply need an audience; 5) how can one go wrong with music by Barry Manilow! His work is incredible; and well, last but not least, I have to say 5) IT'S ME! I MEAN I HAVE TONS OF COSTUMES AND DANCE! Seriously though everyone needs to just help support the local Arts!

Q: Tell us the facts about the show - when and where it's staged, etc.

Zach: Copacabana the Musical by Barry Manilow has one weekend left. Runs Friday, April 16 and Saturday, April 17 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, April 18 at 2:30 p.m. at Ashland Community and Technical College, J.B. Sowards Theatre. Tickets are $6 for Adults, $4 for kids and Seniors, and $2 for ACTC and Morehead Students.

2 comments:

zach d said...

I hope you can make it chuck

Chuck Minsker said...

I wish I could, but my own rehearsals are keeping me swamped. And I'm a Berry Manilow fan from way back! I urge everyone to attend and then tell me about it!