Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

One More "Wedding Singer" e-interview!

OK, I used that photo yesterday - but it's the best one I have of my pal Michael Sidoti (that's him on one knee), and he's the subject of today's e-interview!

He stars as the you'll-love-to-hate-him heel in The Wedding Singer, and here's what he had to say:

Q: Why did you want to be part of The Wedding Singer?

Michael: Well, I had just finished my B.A. at Marshall University (GO HERD!!!), and while I had stage experience during that time, it was mainly in small Opera Theater Workshop productions - not musical theater. Since I want to have that experience as well, I thought it would be great to get my feet wet, so to speak, and do a community theater show. It has been a great experience, and I feel it has made me a more well-rounded performer.

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Michael: I play the antagonist in the show, Glen Guglia - a Wall Street junk bond dealer who believes that making and spending money are the solutions to all of life's problems. He's a womanizer, and only wants to marry Julia because he wants a nice, docile wife at home while he pursues the American Dream - and lots of women!

Q: What's the most challenging thing about preparing for this role?

Michael: Well, I had to shave my beard, and that was hard to part with. My wife has become attached to it, and I have a baby face. But seriously - being a classically trained opera singer, I had to make sure I was NOT in "opera mode" while singing! The vocal techniques used for musical theater performance are a bit different from opera (and sound different, too) - but both can be done in a healthy way. I am grateful for the vocal training I received at Marshall under Dr. Larry Stickler - he is emphatic about vocal health, and assured me that a "Broadway belt" can be achieved without vocal stress or damage. This is important to me, since I sing in both styles!

Q: Is the musical different from the movie?

Michael: There are minor changes. For example: in the movie, the character of Rose is just a voice student of Robbie Hart's; in the musical, she is his grandmother. Also, in the movie, the whole scene where Robbie wins over Julia and defeats Glen all takes place on the plane to Vegas; in the musical, this happens IN Vegas, at the chapel where Glen and Julia are about to be married.

Q: Do you have a favorite song?

Michael: I'd be lying if I didn't say "All About The Green," which is Glen's big number that opens Act II. But I really like "If I Told You" - it's such a sweet tune with great lyrics that really portray the conflicted feelings that Robbie and Julia are experiencing.

Q: Has the summer heat made the play more challenging?

Michael: It has, indeed - but that's the nature of outdoor theater in July! On the plus side, I've dropped 20 pounds since rehearsals started. Who needs P90X - just get involved in summer community theater!

Q: Would you recommend this show to our readers?

Michael: Absolutely! Even if you have not seen the movie upon which the musical is based, it's a great love story about two people who are torn after making some life decisions that were not in their best interests, but overcome this and are able to get together with their true "soulmates." Our director, Helen Freeman, has gone to great lengths to edit this show for the "family theater" experience, so it's also great for the younger audiences.

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

Michael: We're coming up on our final weekend, July 23 and 24. The main show starts at 8:30 p.m. each night, with the Children's Pre-Show starting at 7:00 p.m. Gates to the Ritter Park Amphitheater open at 6:30 p.m. for picnicking. Tickets $15 Adult / $12 Seniors (65+) and Kids (5-12) Kids under 5 free. Groups of 20 tickets or more are $11 per ticket. Tickets are available at the gate on show nights, and at Big Sandy Superstore Arena Box Office.

No comments: