Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Friday, July 22, 2011

"The Wedding Singer's" Julia Speaks!

For our next e-interview with some of the stars from The Wedding Singer, let's talk with Michele Goodson-Burnett, who plays Julia, the delightful love interest in the musical (that's her on the left being proposed to by Michael Sidoti):

Q: Why did you want to be part of The Wedding Singer?


Michele: I have recently moved back to Huntington after being away for 13 years. I had enjoyed working at H.O.T. previously (playing Ado Annie in OKLAHOMA and Sara Brown in GUYS AND DOLLS) and was excited by the prospect of working with my friends again.

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Michele: I play Julia Sullivan. Julia is a sweet, a bit naive, and an absolute hopeless romantic. Her self-esteem is not the best, so she thinks she has landed a prize possession in her fiance, Glen. Throughout the play she discovers that true love lies in the quality of a person. Those qualities are what are evident in Robbie.

Q: What's the most challenging thing about preparing for this role?

Michele: The singing! I am a lyric soprano, so anything below middle C is low for me. The role is written for a mezzo, so many of my notes fall well below middle C. But, hey, I can sing them now! I just wonder what's happened to my notes above the staff...

Q: Is the musical different from the movie?

Michele: The musical in concept and storyline is largely the same as the movie. There are a few minor changes. For instance, in the movie Rosie is a neighbor to whom Robbie gives singing lessons. In the musical Rosie is Robbie's grandmother. Robbie lives with his sister and brother-in-law in the movie, but in the musical Robbie lives with his grandmother.

Q: Do you have a favorite song?

Michele: Only one? Not possible! I love singing "Not That Kind of Thing." It's just so much fun to sing, and I think people can see that we are enjoying ourselves. "If I Told You" and "Grow Old With You" are great transition songs. The lyrics really move the storyline along and they provide a lot of character development.

Q: Has the summer heat made the play more challenging?

Michele: I recommend outdoor theatre for an excellent weight loss plan.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Michele: I recommend the show because is it just PLAIN FUN!!!! Really, you can't help but enjoy yourself when you watch this show. The energy is great. Our love of what we are doing on stage permeates throughout the audience. I know everyone who sees the show will love it.

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

Michele: Only one more weekend people, so hop to! This Friday, Saturday and Sunday - July 22, 23, 24. The gates open at 6:30 p.m. for the picnicking types. Pre-show starts at 7 p.m. The Wedding Singer starts at 8:30 p.m. Get there early to grab a good seat. Hope to see you there!

No comments: