Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

"The Wedding Singer" Speaks!

Time for an e-interview as we head into the final weekend for The Wedding Singer! Let's hear from my pal Ryan Hardiman, who stars in the title role:

Q: Why did you want to be part of The Wedding Singer?

Ryan: I'm all about the '80s! I graduated from high school in 1984 and the show is set in 1985, so I'm right in the middle of my era! Most of the "costumes" I'm wearing are actually my own clothes from 1985. I love the music, the look and the attitude of the '80s. When I do a show, I tend to immerse myself in that world for a time, so this summer has been like a homecoming for me... I've lived it! I've committed to the (bi-level) haircut, I'm rockin' the skinny ties on an almost daily basis, and I've been on a steady diet of Billy Idol, Duran Duran, A Flock of Seagulls and Missing Persons. This show was to have been produced by H.O.T. two years ago, but the rights were lost due to a touring company that brought the show to The Clay Center. We've all been waiting so long to do The Wedding Singer, and we're loving it! Working with Helen Freeman is awesome, and I'm having so much fun with this fantastic cast! I'll be sad for it to end, but we're going to blow it out and make the most of the final weekend! You have to see this!

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Ryan: Robbie Hart (the Adam Sandler character from the movie) is a singer and musician who has found his niche as lead singer for “Simply Wed,” the most popular wedding band in New Jersey. He is engaged to Linda (Jessica Maier) but she cannot accept his station in life and dumps him at the altar. Heartbroken Robbie starts a downward spiral until he starts to develop feelings for his new friend Julia (Michele Goodson-Burnet). Julia, however, is engaged to someone else, so it seems like Robbie is headed for heartbreak again... (Or is he?)

Q: What's the most challenging thing about preparing for this role?

Ryan: Although this role is very different from most of the parts I’ve played, it's actually closer to my own personality than anything else I've ever done. I can totally identify with this character. Although I'm not a guitar player, I forced myself to learn to play several songs in the show to keep it real. I had done this before when I played Roger in RENT, and I think it adds authenticity to the character. The real challenge comes in the sheer energy it takes to play this role, and the fact that I'm never offstage for very long. There is a section of the show in the first act which culminates in my being thrown into a dumpster, and I am so happy to be there after an exhausting stretch. They put ice water in the dumpster for me every night, and I'm in heaven for a couple of minutes before I have to get back in the game.

Q: Is the musical different from the movie?

Ryan: Fans of the movie will not be disappointed. The story and characters of the show follow the film very closely. The main difference is that the '80s songs in the movie were used mainly as background scene music. The writers of the Broadway show developed new songs that actually help to move the story. The two original songs in the movie, “Somebody Kill Me” and “Grow Old With You” remain. The music is awesome... totally '80s!

Q: Do you have a favorite song (which one and why)?

Ryan: I love all of the songs for different reasons, but my favorites that I sing have to be “It’s Your Wedding Day,” which is one of the best opening/closing numbers for a show that I’ve ever heard, and “Casualty Of Love,” which is just out-of-control fun! “Move That Thang” is a showstopper!

Q: Has the summer heat made the play more challenging?

Ryan: Absolutely! Our audiences seem to be very comfortable, but the stage lights combined with the ambient heat and the constant activity make for a completely exhausting show. From the time the first guitar chord strikes, the show never stops moving. We’re running on pure adrenaline.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Ryan: It’s a great story with great music, a colorful, high energy show with lots of laughs. A love letter to the ‘80s! From the reaction we’re getting, It’s very obvious that the audience is having as much of a blast as we are!

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

Ryan: We have one final weekend to go... this Friday, Saturday and Sunday (July 22-23-24) at Huntington's Ritter Park Amphitheater. Gates open at 6:30 p.m. for picnicking (bring your own food and drink, or buy at the amphitheater). Children's and community preshows begin at 7 p.m., and The Wedding Singer takes the stage at 8:30 p.m. Tickets available at the gate on show nights! You have three last chances! Don't miss it!

Thanks, Ryan!

2 comments:

Sanctuary said...

Thanks, Chuck- For your great review and for inviting me to take part in the e-interview...I passed it along to a few others, so hopefully you'll be hearing from them as well! I know Kennie Bass responded. Stay cool!

Chuck Minsker said...

Much appreciated, Ryan! I have two more e-interviews in hand already - they'll be running on Friday!