Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, December 01, 2011

"The Best Christmas Pageant Ever!"

My lovely wife and I had a wonderful time last night at the first performance of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever! (Not counting the sold-out school show earlier in the day.)

I admit to being prejudiced - I am on the board of the First Stage Theatre Company (although I wasn't directly involved with this show) - but the show is a pure delight, and guaranteed to get you in the Christmas spirit.

The play is a co-production with the Marshall Theatre Alliance, and it's what we call a "small" show, with minimal sets and costuming, but the army of young performers put on a terrific show.

It tells the story of the attempts by a church to stage its annual Christmas pageant - but things go terribly wrong when the world's "worst" family, the Herdmans, decide to take part. Will the show be a disaster - or can the holiday work its magic and make this the best pageant ever?

The show will make you laugh and may even bring a tear to your eye (as it did for me). Special kudos to the choir that provides songs that bridge between scenes - they're terrific!

You have several more chances to catch the show - it runs Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at Marshall's Joan C. Edwards Performing Arts Center.

Go see it - you can thank me later!

2 comments:

Mel Larch said...

Sounds like a great show! Wish I could see it, but I'm tied up with the last three performances of MARY this weekend.

Chuck Minsker said...

Mel, it's always difficult when shows overlap - I was hoping to catch "Mary," but it's looking doubtful. I hear great things about it - hope it's been fun for you!