Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A "Macbeth" Interview with Bil Neal

   For our third e-interview, let's hear from my pal Bil Neal, a fine actor and director as well as being the current president of ARTS (to name just a few of his many talents).

   Here's what he had to say about his involvement in Macbeth, the Shakespeare play that will wrap up next weekend at the Renaissance Theatre in Huntington:

Q: Tell us about the character you play.


Bil: The character I play in Macbeth is called Seyton (pronounced "Satan"), and he's a pretty bad guy.  He's part of Macbeth's household, and works as a hired killer, with an occaisional torture thrown in.  The most challenging thing about playing him is his passion for blood - I don't have one, personally.  The most challenging thing about this show in general is the technical elements, I think. 
 
Q: What's the most challenging thing about this show?

Bil: The cast has been given these rich, classic characters that they've all embraced, but the addition of weapons, special effect lighting, projections and sounds, and the blood itself has added greatly to the difficulty in "living" this production.  In fact, I've been impressed with the variety of weaponry on the stage, and the fight choreography, and the different types of lighting effects used. Theatres around here don't really give folks the opportunity to play with these sets of toys, and most of these are utilized to shock the audience.  That's what makes Macbeth a great choice for this time of year.  That's what has made Macbeth fun for me.
 
Q: Why did you want to be part of this show?

Bil: So far in 2012 I've been onstage for Love Letters, and directed both 1776 as well as Crimes of the Heart.  I worked on the Tech Crew of Stepping Out.  If you're doing good theatre, I want to be a part of it somehow.  I wanted to be a part of Macbeth for that reason--this isn't my taste, or genre - in fact, there's discussion that I might've been cast "against type,"  but it's good theatre.  I've worked with Mike Murdock before, but never as a Director.  I wanted a project that would let me work - as an actor, costumer, blood-maker, techie, whatever--outside my comfort zone.  That's where I want to grow and develop.
 
Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

I'd recommend Macbeth because of the cast and crew.  They all take their jobs seriously.  I love that.  I'd recommend Macbeth because of the technical aspects.  Pretty cool stuff.  I'd recommend Macbeth because it's a piece of classic literature that isn't done much in Community Theatre.  It's scary, evil in tone, and loud at times.  The language may be cumbersome for a few, but the passion and the motives you see played out on this stage is stunning.  It's real.  In the end, that's probably what scares me most of all.
 
That, and the blood.

No comments: