Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

An Interview With Lady Macbeth


    You have two chances left to catch Macbeth in Huntington - and I have only two e-interviews left to share!

   So let's hear from Kate Morris, who plays the iconic Lady Macbeth:

Q: You're part of a classic Shakespeare play, but in case our reader isn't familiar with it, tell us the basic story.

Kate: A man with a dream to be King is told by a prophecy that his dream may come true.  Rather than trust in fate that what is supposed to happen will happen, he and his wife meddle with their own destiny.  And we all know how well that usually goes.  

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Kate: I play Lady Macbeth, the title character’s wife.  She is one of Shakespeare’s most famous women.  Even my sister, who knows little about the theatre, knew Lady M’s most famous line, “Out, damn spot”.  It has been a challenge and a joy to attempt to bring her to life.  From doing research, I realized that many of the world’s greatest actresses have tackled this character.  And while I would never compare myself to the likes of Dame Judi Dench, Sarah Siddons, Vivien Leigh and Ellen Terry, I am giddy that I get to say the same words, and feel some of the same feelings that they have.  It is an honor.  

Q: What's the most challenging thing about this show?

Kate: The biggest challenge for me in this play was bringing Lady Macbeth to life in a way that modern women could relate to. She is often seen as one dimensional, evil, bitchy (can I say bitchy?), or simply manipulative. I wanted to see her as a real woman who shares a dream with her husband and goes after it. Unfortunately, her flaw is that she doesn’t see or refuses to acknowledge the consequences of her actions until after she has acted.  My favorite thing about her is that Shakespeare gives little hints in the text that she does have a conscience even though she continues to suppress it in front of her husband and her guests.  Those few lines are gifts from the playwright that allow the actress to create a well rounded person.

   While I was rehearsing this role I heard an interview with actor Stephen Tobolowsky.  When asked about playing a villain he said, “This man is a hero with his agenda, with his point of view. I did not intend to play [him] as one chromosome short of a human being, like a lot of people will play various villains.” I tried to remember that when I approached Lady Macbeth. I don’t believe that she sees herself as an evil villain (even if that’s how the other characters see her) and I hope that makes her seem more like a real woman who makes some really bad choices.

Q: Will the audience be scared or shocked by this production? 

Kate: I hope so.

Q: Why did you want to be part of this show? 

Kate: Who wouldn’t want to be part of this show?  It’s got it all: great words, great characters, sword fighting, blood, witches, ghosts.  I could go on.  It’s a great play being produced by great people.  I couldn’t be more proud of this show.  But one of my favorite parts about being in the show is getting to act opposite of my husband, Greg Morris who plays Mr. Macbeth.  We have been on stage together before, but never as husband and wife.  I think our connection and comfort with each other makes our version of the Macbeths even more unique.  It has been a joy working with him.

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Kate: It’s Halloween. There’s blood and guts, and that’s super fun.  But also, if we do our jobs right, the audience will see a timeless, human story of a man who makes a bad decision and sets forth on a downward spiral into self-destruction.  Who can’t relate to that?  

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

Kate: The show continues to run October 20 at 8 p.m. and October 21 at 2 p.m.  at Arts Resources for the Tristate in Huntington (Renaissance Theatre at 900 8th Street).

No comments: