Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

"Hairspray" Interview #2 - Kennie Bass


   For our second interview with the cast of Hairspray (running this weekend and next at the Ritter Park Amphitheatre), let's hear from Kennie Bass, a talented singer and actor and a veteran of the stage in both Huntington and Charleston:
Q: Hairspray is a hit Broadway musical and movie - tell us the basic story.
Kennie: It's about inclusion. It's about acceptance. It's about passion and following your dream. All of that is wrapped up in 1962 Baltimore, where segregation is still alive, a local dance show is all the craze and a young girl with a big heart and bigger hair tries to make a difference.
Q: Tell us about the character you play.
Kennie: I am honored to play Wilbur Turnblad, father of Tracy (Jessica Cooper) and husband to Edna (Levi Kelley). He's a sweet, funny guy who works hard for his family running his very own Joke and Novelty shop, the "Har-Dee-Har-Hut". However, behind the laughs he has a passionate love for his larger-than-life wife and will protect and defend his child no matter the cost. It's a fun character. I'm glad I've gotten to know him.
Q: What's your favorite part of the show?
Kennie: There are a few. The high energy of the "Corny Collins Show," featuring Corny himself (Ryan Hardiman) and a fantastic troupe of dancers including Casey Homonai and Alaina Krantz. There's just lots of great choreography from Kerri Easter Stambaugh and the dancers nail it. I love anytime Tracy sings, she has some wonderful moments. Motormouth Maybelle's (Rhonda Joplin) "Big, Blonde and Beautiful" is funny with an edge while her "I Know Where I've Been" will give you chills. And I really like Wilbur's romantic duet with Edna, "Timeless To Me," it's both funny and touching. And..."You Can't Stop the Beat" is an awesome finale.
Q: What's your background in theatre?
Kennie: I've been acting since 3rd grade. In my "career" I've been fortunate to work with some amazingly talented people and play roles I had dreamed about, including Bill Sikes in "Oliver" (twice!), Oscar Madison in "The Odd Couple." Some of my favorite shows I've been in include "The Wedding Singer," "Legally Blonde," "Jekyll & Hyde," "Evita," "A Few Good Men," "Oliver!" and "Willy Wonka." Don't let anyone tell you time travel isn't impossible! Through acting I've been a 1980s bass player, 1800s murderer, 1950s gas station owner and jury member, 1930s theater owner... and now... I'm visiting 1962 Baltimore. It's been a fun and amazing ride.
Q: How do you feel about being part of HOT's last show?
Kennie: I came in a little late to the party. I was introduced to HOT in 2006. Director Helen Freeman invited me to play a cameo role in "Thoroughly Modern Millie." That appearance ended an on-stage "retirement" that had lasted for two decades. Thanks to Helen I was re-energized and decided to start acting again. Some of my favorite moments have taken place in HOT shows. "All Shook Up," "The Wedding Singer," "Legally Blonde" and now "Hairspray" have just been tremendously fun to do. But even more than the on-stage stuff, I treasure the relationships I've forged because of HOT. I have met some people who I now count as my closest friends, who mean the world to me. That wouldn't have happened without Helen, Steve Freeman, Kerri, Patti Shaver, Mark Smith, Angie Jolicoeur and many, many others. I live in the Charleston area, so it is a big commitment for me to do a Huntington show. But for all of the time and effort it takes, I have been repaid tenfold. I wouldn't trade my HOT experiences for the world, and am just so profoundly grateful to have been allowed to be a small part of it. I'm sad it's coming to a close, but I understand why. Staging a HOT production is a massive undertaking. Helen and Steve and all the rest should be commended for doing it at such a high level for so long. HOT will definitely be missed.
Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?
Kennie: Because it's fun! And you'll be entertained! What more can you ask a show to do? And, you won't have another chance. THIS IS IT! "Hairspray" features many talented people. Some are familiar to Huntington audiences, like Ryan, Levi, Aliza Wucher and Todd Green. But there are many relative newcomers who you should not miss! Evan Sullivan is from Lexington. When we were struggling to find the right person for the role he came in to save the day as teen heart throb Link Larkin. I have been very impressed with his performances and how he prepares every night. It was very easy to see from the beginning that this guy is a pro. Rhonda is a breath of fresh air who will bowl you over. Jessica and Brynna Horswell (who plays the villainous Amber) might be new to the Huntington area, but they've been tearing it up in Charleston and elsewhere for years. Both are simply amazing. Candy Howard (Amber's mom Velma) is a hoot, managing to be brassy and funny at the same time. The production features great dancing, a fantastic band and a clever script. Finally, to top it off, Levi and Christin Gerwig (Penny) give maybe the best performances of their lives. They are hilarious and sweet and unique. Every night they get the loudest roars from the audience...and both are well-deserved! 
Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.
Kennie: Hairspray July 21, 26, 27, 28 at Ritter Park Amphitheatre. Gates open at 6:30 p.m. The children's pre-show (Disney Extravaganza, it's very good) is at 7 p.m. The community pre-show is directly after. Hairspray starts at 8:30 p.m. Don't cheat yourself. If you have the chance, join us one final time and experience Huntington Outdoor Theatre. You won't regret it.
   Thanks, Kennie!

No comments: