Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Interview #3 With the Cast of "Hairspray"



  This is the final weekend for the musical comedy Hairspray, and here's the third in our series of interviews with the cast of that show.
   Up next is Levi Kelley, a talented theatre major from Marshall University who grew up on local stages. He plays the part of the wildest, most flamboyant character in the show - Edna Turnblad. It's traditional for the mother of the show's star to be played by a man, and Levi enthusiastically tackles the role with amazing verve and skill.
   Here's what he had to say: 
Q: Tell us the basic story behind Hairspray
Levi: Hairspray is about Tracy Turnblad, a big 16-year-old girl with big hair growing up in Baltimore, Maryland in 1962, when integration was still a vital part of society. It was also a time of great music and dancing, and Tracy's biggest dream is to dance on the local American Bandstand type TV show, "The Corny Collins Show." However, the beautiful but stuck up local TV station manager and her equally stuck up daughter want only people who look like them on the show and will stop at nothing to keep Tracy from being on the show. But with the help of her mother, father, boyfriend and the African American community of Baltimore, Tracy proves that you can't stop the beat, no matter how hard you may try.
Q: Tell us about the character you play. 
Levi: I play Edna Turnblad, Tracy's mother. Edna is a dream role of mine - having loved the show since I was 10 years old, I've always wanted to play her. Of course I thought I'd be much older, but hey, that's why it's called acting right? Anyway, Edna is almost a bit of a hermit at the beginning of the show, having not left her apartment in a decade due to her weight and appearance. She runs a laundry business out of her apartment and her one priority is to take care of and love her family. She only wants the best for Tracy, constantly worrying about her well-being, and she also is deeply in love with her husband Wilbur Turnblad. Edna goes through an emotional and physical transformation during the show with the help of Tracy, and Miss Motormouth Maybelle, the local African American celebrity. She's a lovable character and certainly a well known character - immortalized on stage and screen by such Greats as Divine, Harvey Fierstein and John Travolta.
Q: What's your favorite song of the show? 
Levi: This is a hard one - really, all the songs are my favorites, and I really do love the entire show, but my favorite part to perform is probably the finale - Edna finally has an emotional breakthrough and learns to accept herself for who she is. She also gets a rather fabulous getup to wear at the end - you'll have to come see the show to find out what it is though.
Q: What's your background in theatre? 
Levi: I'm currently a Freshman Theatre Performance Major at Marshall University, where I just finished playing Senex in their production of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum. I've done over 30 shows throughout the Tri-state area, including working with such companies as HOT, First Stage, ACTC Theatre and many more. My very favorite though has been my work with First Stage (Children's Theatre) - as I'm only 19 years old, I just recently became an alumni with them, but I've continued working with them because not only are the people the best there, but I really enjoy helping younger children learn their craft, and discover a love for theatre and Musical Theatre specifically. At such a young age I feel it's very important to teach our children some sort of art form, and the art of Theatre is one of the best you can teach. After all, where would I be now if someone hadn't exposed me to Theatre, and helped me learn how to do what I love? 
Q: How do you feel about being part of HOT's last show? 
Levi: It's very fulfilling for me. I got my start at the age of 10 with HOT, in the children's pre-show for Footloose - but I also saw my very first Huntington show at HOT at the age of 6 with Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. After that I was hooked- It wasn't until I was 10 though when I decided I wanted to join them. On a whim I auditioned for the pre-show and the rest is history. I could never have dreamed all those years ago sitting in the audience watching Betty Craddock as the Fairy Godmother transform Cinderella's rags into a beautiful ball gown that 12 years in the future I'd be standing on that same stage in a huge red wig and heels belting out "You Can't Stop The Beat." It's been an absolute dream. HOT taught me many things about my artform, it gave me lifelong friends and wonderful mentors, and certainly changed my life. It will certainly be missed, but what a way to go out? With Hairspray? Now that's going out with a BANG.
Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers? 
Levi: Well first off, it's a phenomenal show! The score is truly incredible. Marc Shaiman and Scott Whitman are geniuses. The dancing is amazing - great choreography by Kerri Stambaugh. The band could blow any Broadway orchestra out of this universe. And the cast is PERFECT. Jessica Cooper IS Tracy Turnblad. Rhonda Joplin will send shivers down your spine when she sings Motormouth Maybelle's 11 o'clock number. Christin Gerwig will have you laughing so hard you'll fall out of your chair. The entire cast is incredible! I can't say enough great things - that guy that plays Edna though - what a hack!
Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.
Levi: You only have THREE MORE CHANCES LEFT! July 26, 27 and 28 at the Ritter Park Amphitheatre! Gates open at 6:30! Children's Pre-show at 7, Community pre-show at 7:30 and Hairspray at 8:30! DON'T MISS IT! It's the event of the Summer!
   Thanks, Levi!

No comments: