Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Interview #1 with the Cast of "Shenandoah"

   For our first interview with the cast of Shenandoah (which takes the stage in Huntington next weekend), let's hear from my pal Eric Wilson, a terrific actor and performer who's a member of the ARTS Acting Troupe.
 
Q: Shenandoah was a popular film - but in case our reader isn’t familiar with it, tell us the basic story.
Eric: To me, Shenandoah is about a family trying to do the best they can with only their own, in a time when this was not the common way of things especially in the south. The war is going on and we’ve done our best to keep our farm alive and well. But now the war is in our backyard and things start changing for our family. 
Q: Tell us about the character you play.
Eric: I’m playing James Anderson, the second oldest son. He’s kind of the firecracker in the family. He’s unafraid to speak his mind. He is married with a baby on the way. He has a free spirit and a very free way of speaking. Next to lovin’ he likes fightin’ most. 
Q: What’s your favorite part of the show?
Eric: Getting to go toe to toe and face to face with Bil Neal in a father-son way has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had at ARTS. Also all the quality time I’ve spent with my brothers to create a family feeling has been rewarding to both the production and myself. 
Q: What’s your background in theatre?
Eric: I’ve been doing theatre since 1999. I got to play Gandalf before Sir Ian McKellan ever did and haven’t stopped since. I’ve worked in dozens of community, regional, collegiate and professional productions doing both tech and performing on stage.  
Q: What’s the most challenging thing in this show?
Eric: The bodily harm that comes from taking the falls the way I do. I like to feel the pain on stage and how it brings me into my character… but I walk away with a few more bruises and aches. 
Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?
Eric: It’s a beautiful story that you’ve probably seen in other forms, but with music involved and the wonderfully simple choreography provided by Connie Anthony keeps it moving from beginning to end. Stephen Vance’s direction has been simple and clear. I really think we’ve put the team's vision together in a way I think you guys will really love. 
Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.
Eric: It will be presented Oct. 11, 12, 13, 18, 19 and 20, Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. at the old Huntington High School theatre at 900 8th Street.
   Thanks, Eric!

No comments: