Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Interview #3 With the Cast of "Shenandoah!"


   For our third interview with the cast of Shenandoah, let’s hear from my pal Bil Neal, a wonderful guy and a triple threat - he’s a terrific actor, a wonderful director and is doing an amazing job as the current president of ARTS!

   He has some delightful comments to share about this show, which starts this Friday at the Renaissance Theatre in Huntington:

Q: Shenandoah was a popular film - but in case our reader isn't familiar with it, tell us the basic story. 

Bil: The story of Shenandoah involves one man's struggle to protect his family, and keep them out of the Civil War. I play that man, Charlie Anderson.  

Q: What's your favorite part of the show? 

Bil: This is an great story, and I get to work with some awesome actors from the area. There's just too much about it that I enjoy. 

   The last time I was onstage with Jesse Riggs he played my adversary in fighting over a woman. This time he plays my oldest son. He brings such a sweet honesty to this role that I enjoy our stage time together. 

   Playing my second son, James, is Eric Wilson. Such a pleasure to work with him - such a strong actor, and an all-around Good Guy. 

   In the role of Nathan is another stage local favorite - Brian Cook. Having played my son onstage once before, I can only say that any man would be pleased to call him "Son." I certainly am, even if it’s only again onstage. 

   Clay McKnight is my son John. So many enjoyed his work in Cabaret and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, and I'm a huge fan. 

   As my only daughter, Jenny, I've really enjoyed the rehearsal process with Emma Grace Imes. One of the youngest members of ARTS Company, and certainly a pleasure to watch. I'm crazy about her. 

   I've always enjoyed Andrew Surber every time I've seen him on area stages. He catches your eye, and he's so much fun. He brings that playfulness to life at ARTS as my son, Henry. I'd love to work with him again... and often.

   Arman Karimpour has a special place in my heart, as my youngest son Robert. I think he's the son who looks most like me physically, but he certainly dances better than I do. When he sings and dances with Will Meadows I stay in the wings and watch. They're both a pleasure to have working with us. 

   I've never gotten to sing with Leann Haines. It's still a dream of mine (she's amazingly talented that way), but this time I do get to have her as a daughter-in-law.  The poignancy and quiet strength she brings to the role of Anne is lovely. 

   It's so good to have Eric Newfeld around anywhere, but when you're looking for a son-in-law (onstage or off), there are few that reach the level our man Eric does.  

   I may be biased, but I think Jonathan Maynard is excellent in this role. I've enjoyed every minute I've gotten to work with him.  

   I've enjoyed Tristan Reynolds in several ARTS shows this year, and with good reason.  He's really good with what he brings in this production. You may be surprised to know that his younger sister Fiona also has substantial talent. As the guy who sits directly in front of her while she's singing, I'm amazed at the quality and volume that child produces. 

   There's so many more people I'd love to brag on in this production, I could talk about all of them for days, but you asked me what's my favorite part of this show?  The people... and the characters they've created. 

   I loved watching Coni Anthony work her magic for me in How to Succeed, and she has (mercifully) chosen to not rely on my innate dancing abilities and work my sons instead. I love that. 

   Mike Naglee? Really? Awesomeness onstage and off: fight choreographer: weapons master: husband of Jenn Naglee? I want to be him.  

   Director Stephen Vance took an eclectic group of theatre folk and has given us the time and space to play. This has been a once-in-a-lifetime chance for me, and I hope to get all the memories out of it that I can. I can't thank that guy enough for letting me be a part of this. 

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers? 

Bil: Why wouldn't I recommend a show with these people?  Guns, singing, fighting, dancing, passion, war, love, and a full orchestra.  I'm having the time of my life. Please come see this show. 

Q: Tell us the dates, times and place for the show.

Bil: We're at the OLD Huntington High (900 Eighth Street in Huntington), the curtain goes up at 8 p.m. Oct. 11,12,18,19, and matinée on Sunday at 2 p.m. on Oct. 13 and 20. Join us for dinner if you like and make an evening of it!  Call 304-733-2787 for reservations.

   Thanks, Bil! And thanks to Stephen Vance for the photo! 

No comments: