Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Intervew with the Cast of "Godspell" #1

    The musical Godspell is taking the stage this weekend in Huntington as First Stage Theatre Company presents the beloved Broadway show.
 
   So let's hear from the cast, starting with a wonderfully talented stage veteran (even though she's just in high school), Sarah Bryan:
 
Q: What is the musical Godspell about?
 
Sarah: Godspell is a beautiful telling of the Gospel of Matthew. Since the Gospel was written two thousand years ago, it can seem distant to us, but when Jesus comes to high school and applies all the parables to our everyday lives, it makes everything so much more relatable. Add amazing humor, entertainment, music, and harmonies, and that's Godspell.
Q: Why did you want to be part of the show?

Sarah: I am a passionate Christian, thespian, and singer, and Godspell combines all of these. I remember standing in between two of my best friends during the first week of rehearsal. We were singing beautiful harmonies all about Christ. I will always treasure moments like these.
 
Q: What's your background in theatre?

Sarah: I got bit by the "theatre bug" when I did my first show - A Christmas Carol - in 2007, and I haven't stopped since! Theatre is the best high I've ever felt, and First Stage has become my home. I can express myself openly with my theatre family, and I absolutely love it.
Q: What's your favorite song in the show?

Sarah: All the songs are absolutely amazing, and the show would be incomplete without one of them. However, my favorite song would have to be the Finale. It starts with Jesus's death, and the emotion is astounding. Then, one small voice begins singing "Long Live God." This inspires the entire cast to eventually join in, singing that "we can build a beautiful city... not a city of angels, but a city of men," and for God to save the people, and finally to prepare a way for The Lord.
Q: This show depends on a strong cast working together - so tell us about your fellow actors. Are you having fun?
Sarah: Of course! Director Jack Cirillo told us at the first cast meeting that we would get joy out of our work, and he was undoubtedly right. I remember the cast laughing and cheering after nailing some of our four to five part harmonies for the first time. After we completed our cohesive "human machine" for one of our songs, we couldn't stop smiling. And every time we finish our intense and epic finale, we always have chills. We've united as a family, and it's the most enjoyable theatrical experience I've ever had.
Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?
Sarah: This show is all about love. People are lost, and throughout the show, everyone expresses their faith and love. It's a transformation that is beautiful to watch, and the music and harmonies add a level of intensity to such a great show.
 
   Thanks, Sarah!
 
   Godspell takes the stage at the Renaissance Theatre Ballroom at 900 8th Street in Huntington on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 14, 15, 21 and 22 at 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, Feb. 16 and 23 at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for children. Don't miss it!

 

No comments: