Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Monday, April 21, 2014

"ACTC New Play Festival" Interview #1



  Taking the stage this weekend is the ACTC New Play Festival - it will feature 10 student and faculty written plays (short scenes, monologues, ten-minutes, one acts).

   Sounds like fun! Here to tell us more about it is one of the directors - Huntington's own Jonathan Joy!

   Here's our e-interview with Jon:

Q: Tell us about the festival.

Jon: ACTC’s first ever New Play Festival highlights student and faculty written work. 10 new plays will be performed. All were written as a part of a Playwriting class that I taught in the Fall of 2013.

Q: Which plays are you directing? 

Jon: I’m coordinating the festival and directing seven of the 10 pieces.

Q: Why did you want to be part of this event?

Jon: I’ve been a part of a lot of new play festivals regionally and in other areas. I am usually involved as a writer, though I’ve done some acting and directing with these too. At this point in my life and career, I am principally interested in new works. I think Shakespeare is great and I love musical theatre, but developing new characters and stories is my primary goal. I’ve wanted to do something like this at ACTC for a long time. I always tell my students that “Everyone has a story to tell.” This festival shows that they have some terrific, imaginative, original stories. 

Q: Is it tough putting these plays together in such a short time? 

Jon: It’s not really tough to put together a 5- to 15-minute piece and get it ready for the stage in two or three weeks. What is tough is doing it with 10 plays at once. It’s been an adventure.  

Q: Why would you recommend this to our readers? 

Jon: It’s fun! The pieces are well written and we have an excellent cast. It’s also not often that you get to see the world premiere of someone’s play.

Q: Tell us when and where the show will be offered.

Jon: The plays will be performed April 25 and 26 at 8 p.m. and April 27 at 2:30 p.m. at Ashland Community and Technical College. Tickets are only $5 for the public and $2 for ACTC students and are available at the door.

Thanks, Jon!

No comments: