Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, April 03, 2014

"Dear Edwina, Jr." Interview #4

  Tomorrow (Friday) is the premiere of Dear Edwina, Jr., and just for fun we’ve been interviewing members of the cast. 

   The musical, based on the beloved book, follows the adventures of young Edwina Spoonapple as she directs the neighborhood kids in a series of production numbers as part of her "Advice-A-Palooza" extravaganza. 

   For our fourth interview with the cast, let’s hear from the kid who had a star turn a year ago in Disney’s The Little Mermaid, Jr. - Elyse Samassekou:

Q: Tell us the basic story behind Dear Edwina, Jr.

Elyse: Dear Edwina, Jr. is about a teen who is a bit fed up with living in her siblings' shadows. Her siblings have talents like being able to play the piano and the drums, but her talent is advice-giving. She is
trying to broadcast her talent to the city of Paw Paw by putting on a show in her yard every Sunday to answer someone's letter asking for advice.

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Elyse: I play an upbeat Jamaican girl named Ziggy Montego. She has a lot of trouble when it comes to saving money. She writes to Edwina to tell her about her steel drum band, and how she really wants to go to a steel drum band parade. She spends all the money for the trip, and now she needs help!

Q: What's your background in local theatre?

Elyse: This is my second production ever. My first was The Little Mermaid, Jr. I played Flounder. I really wish I had joined sooner!

Q: What's your favorite song in the show?

Elyse: Honestly, I love "Frankenguest!" It's an amazing song and so fun to put on!

Q: Tell us about your trip to the Music Theatre International Festival in Atlanta - was it fun?

Elyse: Atlanta was the best experience of my life. I loved every second. But without my friends I feel it would not have been as great. I learned a lot about theatre and had a great time doing it!

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers?

Elyse: You should come and see this show because not only is it fun to be a part of, but also it might contain some advice that would be helpful to you! We worked hard on it, and we are positive that if you see the show you won't be disappointed!

Q: If a kid is thinking about trying out for a future First Stage show, what advice would you tell them?

Elyse: Don't be nervous! It might be a new environment, and it maybe a little scary, but we are all a family! I met my best friends here, and I would be glad to welcome you to the family!

   Thanks, Elyse!

   The musical will be presented April 4, 5, 11 and 12 at 7:30 p.m., and April 6 and 13 at 2:30 p.m. at the Renaissance Center at 900 8th Street in Huntington. Tickets are $10 for children and $12 for adults.

   Don’t miss it!

No comments: