Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Interview with "Elsa" from "Frozen Jr."


   The musical Disney’s Frozen Jr. will be presented at Huntington High School this weekend and next weekend. 

   It’s based on the story of two loving sisters - one who develops an amazing power that threatens her kingdom, and the other who fights to save her sister.

   We have several interviews with the young cast to share, and up next is the beautiful and talented Sophie Eastone, who plays the part of Elsa, the Queen whose powers over ice and snow threaten to run out of control:

Q: Tell us about Frozen Jr - is it different from the animated film?

Sophie: Frozen Jr is very similar to the animated film - but with a few surprises! While having the same story line as the movie, there are extra songs from the Broadway musical. Frozen Jr goes more in depth with Elsa’s internal emotions and the true love story between two sisters. Your favorite classic songs from the movie have added solos to let more people shine. Some of the songs have more accommodating vocal ranges easier for others to sing.  

Q: Why did you want to be part of this show?

Sophie: I’ve loved Frozen since I was little. I knew there was THE song in this show. I walked into the auditions wanting to be Elsa. However, I knew even if I didn’t get that part in the show, being with my First Stage family would make the show as magical as the last and I wanted to be a part of bringing this story to life in any way that I could. 

Q: Tell us about the character you play.

Sophie: Elsa is scared and closed-off from the rest of the world. Elsa is dreading coronation day because of her fear that everyone will see that she has powers. As the show progresses, she learns that there is no reason to conceal and not feel. She realizes that she can finally let it go and be who she is really meant to be.  

Q: What's the most challenging this about the show?

Sophie: For me, the most challenging part about this show is the scene where I perform “Let It Go.” I remember seeing the movie quite a few times when I was younger; I was mesmerized by it all. From the building of the castle to Elsa switching her dress in an instant, it was magical. I want to give that same magic now to the little kids in the audience and give them a mesmerizing moment too.  

Q: If a kid is thinking about being in a future show, what advice would you give them?

Sophie: DO IT. I don’t know where or what I would be doing if I wasn’t in theatre. Theatre has changed my life and helped me find something that I truly love. If you don’t make a show your first time around, try again. What do you have to lose? It is something you don’t want to miss out on. The atmosphere is welcoming and supportive. Every experience I've had has been a blast. From ensemble to lead - no matter where you’re placed, I promise you’ll leave the last show in tears not ready to say goodbye to your new family and looking forward to more shows!

Q: Why would you recommend this show to our readers? 

Sophie: I would recommend this show to readers because the set, the effects, and the music are bigger and brighter than ever before. With our cast of 72 we have been able to do many things. It’s a show you don’t want to miss! 

   Thanks, Sophie!

Disney’s Frozen, Jr.” - First Stage Theatre Company presents the musical based on the beloved animated film as part of the 30th season for Huntington’s long-running children’s theatre. Shows will be presented Oct. 12 and 19 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 13, 19 and 20 at 2:30 p.m. at the Huntington High School auditorium at 1 Highlander Way.

No comments: