Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Legally Blonde: The Musical"

I finally got a chance to watch the MTV taping of the Broadway show Legally Blonde, and imagine my surprise - I really liked it!

Let's face it, this isn't a show that's aimed at my demographic - it's basically the stage version of a "chick flick" (if you'll pardon the term). However, it's also loaded with tons of energy, several terrific songs, some amazing feats of staging and a really talented cast.

I agree with my pal Len's take on it - I could have done without the inane hosts, who were badly reading their lines off cue cards, but the performance certainly made me want to see the show live - I would expect their ticket sales to soar.

I think what impressed me the most was how well the show translated to television. Most stage performances come off flat on the small screen, but they did a terrific job of capturing the energy of Legally Blonde. Recommended!

No comments: