Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Comical Murders at MU

I apologize - in telling you about our efforts to bring High School Musical to the stage, I've neglected to mention the latest effort from Marshall Univeristy's Department of Theatre - The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940.

Luckily, my pal Stephen Vance is on the job and has this review:
I went to see the show in previews tonight and it was wonderful. The director David Cook describes this show the best in the program: "a farcical romp which pays homage to the many cliches of the murder-mysteries of the period." And that it is. It is difficult to go long in this show without a laugh-out-loud moment.

Both new and familiar faces graced the stage and did it so well. I want to send out special kudos to our own Chuck Herndon who did a brilliant job in his debut on the Marshall stage. Anyone who has seen any theater in the Tri-State has probably had the privilege of seeing "Chuckie" in a show. He was hilarious and held his own among the talented Marshall veterans. In fact, the entire ensemble did a tremendous job.

This show, once again, had terrific sets, costumes, and lighting design. I love sitting in a playhouse and forgetting I'm watching a show. The tech design was second to none.

In this busy theatre week, I wanted to take a second and give an enthusiastic nod to the cast and crew of The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940. Well Done!
Thanks for the reminder, Stephen! I appreciate the review, and I certainly urge everyone to check out The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940. MU's Theatre Department puts together incredible shows - I'm sure this one is no different!

And since Chuck Herndon played the lead in the first two shows I directed, you don't have to tell me how good an actor he is - he was a terrific actor then (six years ago) and he's only become better in the years since!

You can also read about the show in this story in the Herald-Dispatch by Beth Hendricks.

No comments: