Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"Scrooge" Speaks Out

OK, we've heard from the director, so now let's hear from the star of A Christmas Carol: The Musical, which runs this weekend and the next at Huntington's City Hall auditorium. My pal Clint McElroy has starred in a number of local productions, and now that lovable scamp is tackling the role of one of the all-time nastiest stage characters - Scrooge! So let's hear from Clint:

Q: Why did you decide to tackle Fifth Avenue's A Christmas Carol: the Musical?

A: I blame Mr. Magoo. Ever since I saw Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol when I was a kid in the '60s, I've wanted to play the part. It is such an amazing tale of redemption and grace through love... who can resist that?

Q: This isn't your first time being part of this play - what other roles have you tackled?

A: I played Marley when the show was done by First Stage Theatre Company... (12 feet of real, honest-to-goodness chains wrapped around me... THAT was fun), and in the recent Marshall University production I was the ghost of Christmas Present... (in a green fur robe and wreath on my head... I think it's how Liberace always envisioned Santa Claus).

Q: You're a naturally cheerful guy - how much fun is it to play the ultimate grouch, Scrooge?

A: I am having a ball. I'm not used to doing a show where all the little kids are frightened of me. It's a bit unnerving... but I do get first crack at the snack table.

Q: Why is Christmas Carol such an enduring classic?

A: EVERYBODY feels like Scrooge at some point. Maybe you don't say "Humbug!" Maybe you say: "I don't WANT to go to the carol singing at church." Or "Do we HAVE to go to Aunt Bonnie's this year?" Or "I'm not getting him a gift because he took my parking place." It isn't really your nature, but sometimes the holidays can just wear you down to a nub. Scrooge's story tells us that "It's never too late to change"

Q: Why would you urge people to come out and see this show?


A: The music is remarkable. The cast is one of the best ever put together for this region. Mary Smirl has such a wonderful director's vision for this show. Every age will be captivated by it. And the message is so important. AND, there are dancing candies.

Q: What are the dates and times for the show?

A: November 30, December First, Seventh and Eighth at 8pm.... Sunday matinees December 2nd and 9th at 2:30pm.

No comments: