Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

More About Stopping the Show

The debate over Patti Lupone stopping a Gypsy performance to berate an audience member who was taking photos during the show continues. (If you missed it, just scroll down - it was the subject of the last post.)

Some people applaud what she did - and certainly the audience was loud in its approval, as heard on the audio - but others, myself included, think she was way off base, interrupting a show to address some lout in the audience.

Most theaters have ushers to keep the audience under control and toss out troublemakers, and the actors should leave those matters to them. For that matter, if someone was being annoying enough, the audience members would probably rise up and run him off.

But actors are taught to keep the show moving if at all possible, and stopping the orchestra and breaking character brings the show to a screeching halt. I've seen young performers keep on singing and dancing while alarms were ringing - if they can do that, surely a pro like LuPone can deal with someone being rude.

Of course, her character in Gypsy is a big diva - so maybe she was just so into character that she couldn't help herself.

I wasn't there, so maybe she was justified - but it sure seems to break every rule in theatre.

6 comments:

Sanctuary said...

I agree, Chuck... I love Patti LuPone, but the job of an actor is to transform themselves...to become someone else for the course of a show and to maintain that illusion. Not to police the audience. Sure, you have a sense your surroundings, and it can be distracting when people take pictures or a cell phone goes off, but you have to learn to deal with it and do your job. If you're focused and where you're supposed to be, your mind shouldn't be on anything but your character. I don't know if it's ego that causes actors to snap, but it's surprising to me when I hear of accomplished, professional actors freaking out on an audience member. There was another famous incident during a London production of "A Lion In Winter" when Laurence Fishbourne berated an audience member when their cell phone rang. True, sometimes theatre goers could have better etiquette, and be more considerate, but you have to allow for human nature / human error. I would have more respect for an actor if they were unflappable.

Chuck Minsker said...

Ryan, I always find those stories surprising, too - but I suppose actors are only human (though I won't swear to it). ;-)

But yes, I have much more respect for actors who stay in character no matter what. Anyone can fly off the handle.

Anonymous said...

I've seen a dancers career destroyed because of a fall that was the result of flash photography. Theatre is not a passive act, it is not cinema, it demands the focus and attention of the audience in the same way as a conversation between two friends at a table. At least there will be 1,600 more people who will think twice about checking their texts on cell phones, taking pics and yes, taking calls in the theatre. The theatre will be better for it and for some, much safer.

Anonymous said...

Check out the remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Wh6DAFpW4

Unknown said...

I have mixed feelings about this. This kind of audience behavior is on the rise - I've noticed it in movies and in the theatre, but you're right, professionals should deal with whatever is thrown at them. Part of me wants to hand it to Ms. LuPone though. Haven't you just wanted to let loose on someone who was displaying such poor theatre/movie etiquette, that it was disturbing your enjoyment of the performance? I know you'd never do that though. You're always the nice one. (Len, on the other hand, has asked little old ladies in the movie theatre to "speak a little louder please, I can't hear you well enough.") My hero!

Chuck Minsker said...

I know how you feel, Denise - it's easy to understand why an actor would snap and fire back at rude behavior like that - and certainly the crowd seemed to enjoy it. But I can't quite bring myself to condone it.

Loved your theatre story - but then, Len is my hero, too!