Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Remembering "Charlotte" and "Alexander"

With auditions coming up this weekend for both Charlotte's Web and Alexander, Who's Not Not Not Not Not Not Going to Move, my thoughts have been turning back to the first time I encountered each show (well, sort of).

First Stage tackled Charlotte's Web back in 1998 (if memory serves). The show actually had two directors - Jerry Morse and Sarah Chupp - and it was the first show (that I'm aware of) that used double-casting. In other words, there were two different casts, one for each director. (That allowed us to cast more kids in the show, although it was very difficult to coordinate.)

The casts took turns performing the show, using the same set. I saw every performance because I helped run the sound on that show. If I remember correctly, my oldest son Justin worked backstage on the tech crew, and it was one of the first appearances on stage by my youngest son, Evan, who played Young Spider #2.

It was a wonderful show, with lots of great parts and a funny and touching story. I look forward to seeing it again (although this time around, First Stage will only use one cast).

As for "Alexander," the second show I directed (back in 2002) was Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day - and I ended up directing it almost by accident.

For my second directing effort, I thought it would be fun to tackle "Alexander," which was based on a popular children's book - but for some reason, I thought it was a non-musical. Imagine my surprise when the script arrived and I realized I had a musical on my hands! (The lesson is: always read the fine print.)

What a great experience that show was! It was a fun, creative story that used a variety of performers, with the younger actors playing Alexander and his friends, and the older teens playing the grownups.

I smile every time I think of the "parents" in that show - Michael Moore played the Dad, and Emily Asbury played the Mom. Michael got huge laughs, not only for his comedic ability, but also because of the fake moustache he wore. Emily was so convincing, one kid who saw the show asked her if she was really "Alexander's" Mom - I think she was 16 at the time, not much older than the young man playing the title role - Chuck Herndon - and what a terrific job he did! All three actors are now studying drama in college, and doing incredibly well - it's a tribute to the talents. I'm so proud of them! (And no, I don't take any credit for their accomplishments - they've done that entirely on their own talent and initiative - but I knew 'em when!)

The cast was perfect, the show was a hoot, and with each performance, the crowds got bigger, until finally, at the last show we literally had standing room only!

Fond memories! Now I look forward to making new memories with these new shows!

No comments: