Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Is "Rent" a High School Musical?

My pals Denise and Len sent along a link to this story over a week ago, but I've been on the run and haven't had a chance to bring it up here - until now.

The New York Times ran a story Feb. 20 about the musical called Rent: School Edition, and the controversy that's grown around it.

It's an edited version of the popular musical that's been adapted for schools to produce. "School Editions" are a relatively recent invention, and allow major Broadway productions that aren't available for community theatre groups to be staged by school groups and children's theatres.

The shows are edited (slightly) and the music is altered for younger voices. Among the shows that have been adapted this way are Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd, Avenue Q and Rent.

I have to admit that I'm still not sure how I feel about schools staging adult shows like Rent, Sweeney Todd or Avenue Q. Even Les Miz has some adult content (and this one I've very familiar with - I directed a local production with First Stage Theatre). I'm generally opposed to censorship, but I also think there's material in these productions that may not be appropriate for young people.

This is the first year that Rent has been available in a somewhat toned-down version for schools. But even this version tackles some adult subjects, including drug use, theft, H.I.V. and homosexuality - not exactly the usual fare for school shows.

My feeling is that (senior) high school kids are mature enough to tackle the story, although I'm not sure it's fair to subject any young performer to the pressure of playing some of the adult roles involved. Any younger than that, and I don't think it would be appropriate.

But it's a decision each school has to make. The music in the show is great, and Rent has certainly become a big favorite among theatre fans, but it would be a tough call.

As the story indicates, a school in Bridgeport, W.Va., tried to stage it, but the show was shut down by the school administration - so the production was moved to a local college campus, although the cast was still made up of local high school students.

Here's an excerpt from the story:
Theater directors and students at more than 40 high schools across the country have selected a new show for their big springtime musical this year: Rent: School Edition, a modified version of the hit Broadway musical that, while toned down a bit, remains provocative by traditional drama club standards.

Too provocative, in the view of some high school officials and parents. At least three of the planned high school productions, in California, Texas and West Virginia, have been canceled...

... “Our high school shows are so important to our community — we have alumni who come back, we bus in children for them — and I didn’t see Rent working here,” said Susan Collins, the superintendent of the Harrison County schools in West Virginia, who canceled a production at Bridgeport High School there this winter. “But look, I know we can’t stick our heads in the sand, I know drugs are out there, I know children are having babies at 12, I know teens are having sex and always must have safe sex. But I don’t know if we need Rent.”
So what do you think, readers? Is it much ado about nothing? Is Rent appropriate for high school or middle school students? Can you see a local school tackling this show?

I can't see it happening locally without major changes to the show - but maybe I'm wrong.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuck:

I have been following this story from the California end, although I was unaware West Virginia was involved in the controversy. Not that I am surprised in some aspect.

I wonder myself (like you - and we've worked together back in the day) if many High School students are able to handle some of the nuances involved in these roles.

However, speaking as a working writer and composer, I cannot stomach censorship reaching the levels involved here. Speaking as an actor, I say if the students believe they can handle the content... well... they deal with the same issues in everyday life anyway...

And speaking as an avid theatregoer... Well, the same.

So

Much ado about nothing.

Hope I didn't ramble too much

John D. Nugent, ASCAP
Creative Horizons

Chuck Minsker said...

John, it's good to hear from you! I appreciate your comments, and you certainly didn't ramble too much. Chime in anytime!

Stephen Vance said...

Whether or not a school is capable of doing this show or not, I will not be the judge. I've seen far more talent and surprising results from high school students than I thought possible.

However, what I will do is call a spade a spade. This is a marketing scheme by the production houses to make money. They know to market Rent to High Schoolers because the movie played so well to them before. The same with Sweeney Todd. Let's not forget there's always the forbidden fruit effect, too. People are always drawn to what they cannot have regardless of merit or rationality.

Once again, I'm not saying that students couldn't pull them off, or that there isn't artistic merit to the pieces, but this is simply about people making money in NYC. That's why Disney has released so many of their cartoons as Disney Jr. Shows, and why broadway keeps converting movies to plays and vice versa.

Anonymous said...

Honestly being a high school student myself, I think RENT and Sweeney And Ave Q are apprpriate for High Schoolers. I mean think about it, wether we like it or not there are students who do drugs, and students who are homosexual. I think that high schoolers are aware about these things, and I know that it's not that shocking to hear around the school that someone else is involved with drugs, or if there is a homosexual relationship. I mean anymore it's not completley "omigosh" to us anymore, and shows like these are just another show.

Chuck Minsker said...

Stephen, I agree that there's no doubt that young performers have the talent to create a show like this. I was also troubled by the idea of these companies marketing adult material to schools. There's this line in the story: "The New York producers of Rent, who receive some royalties from the school edition, said they hoped it would become a new, revenue-generating staple of the high school musical landscape..." - which makes it sound like they're not concerned about any moral implications, they just want your money.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

But I disagree about the Disney Jr. shows - certainly they're a vehicle to make money, too, but these are shows that are beloved by children and appropriate for them, and the shows are re-written to make it possible for schools to produce them with little in the way of money or sets or costumes.

Chuck Minsker said...

RENThead, I agree that high school students are able to handle more mature material.

The tough part of the equation is for the parents and administrators of the school, who have an obligation to those same students. They're the ones who have to give final approval, and for many of them, it has to be a tough call.

Anonymous said...

Rent School Edition is a great music with a lesson of family, love and life. Westford Academy has produced this show. We have just finished our first weekend with nothing but great reviews.
Our students understant these lessons of life and family. They have totally embrased the show