Title

Tri-State Theater

Let's discuss upcoming shows, secrets behind the scenes, things you never knew about the theater and why live theater is so darn entertaining.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tech Week for "Alexander"

Monday was the first day of Tech Week for the show Alexander, Who's Not Not Not Not Not Not Going to Move, and surprisingly enough, it went well.

It's surprising because tech rehearsals are notorious for running long and late into the evening. Some shows have been known to rehearse well into the early hours of the next morning.

But we wrapped up just 15 minutes over our usual stopping time - a tribute to the cast, the band and especially our small but mighty tech crew. Oh, there are still problems to solve - but they're all pretty minor.

(By the way, this photo is from an earlier rehearsal.)

I was also worried because we're staging the show in the Jeslyn Performing Arts Center (the old Camelot Theater), and the First Stage Theatre Company has never put on a show there before. I shouldn't have worried - the workers there have been terrific, incredibly helpful and very understanding.

The stage is just the right size for a musical like this, and I think it's going to be a good fit for us. But there's no time to relax or get overconfident - we still have a lot of work to do to get ready for Friday's first performance!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm also in tech week. Can I change places with you?

Chuck Minsker said...

Denise, changing places is probably impractical, but I can certainly sympathize with the struggle!

Tech week is, in my opinion, the toughest part about doing a show - working out the zillions of tiny details, solving problems and making changes. I keep telling myself, "You have to trust the process."

I'm grateful for my cast and crew - they're a great team, and they're really working hard to make it happen.